Appreciating books over movies

By Shannon Morgan

When I found out that the book City of Bones was going to become a movie, I could not wait. One of my favorite books was going to be acted out by real people, and I would see one of favorite book plots come to life.

Unfortunately, the movie was a let down. The actors were not how I imagined, and the movie hardly stayed true to the book. The point of this movie was to represent the book, but it did not even come close to what it should have been. I came out of the theater disappointed and wondering why it had left me so unsatisfied.

Sometimes while I am watching a movie I wonder if the actors and directors even read the book they are trying to recreate on the screen. How are they supposed to have the mannerisms and attitude if they do not even know who their character is? It is disappointing to watch a movie and discover that your favorite character does not have that spark their character had in the book.

The only movie franchise that I can say truly followed the books is Harry Potter, but that kind of success is few and far between.

The Hunger Games was also good, minus a few details that are probably me just being picky.

My fourth grade self was so excited to see Twilight, but maybe it was just Kristen Stewart, or maybe it did not follow the book, but the movie was terrible and I think a lot of people would agree.

It seems like today actors are hired for their popularity among teens, or for their beauty. There happens to be a popular book and boom –it becomes a movie.Hinton_Book

I am going to stop relying on Hollywood to accurately represent the books I love. This spring the Maze Runner and Divergent will be brought to the big screen, popular books among young adult readers. I have been anxiously awaiting these movies, but now I am not so sure. I am hoping that the popcorn will not be too salty, but that is all I can really hope for.Hinton_Book