Coppell+High+School+junior+Aditri+Chikkam+was+elected+as+the+Treasurer+for+the+Health+Occupations+Students+of+America+Club.+The+HOSA+election+was+April+24+for+its+officers+for+the+2023-24+school+year.+

Wendy Le

Coppell High School junior Aditri Chikkam was elected as the Treasurer for the Health Occupations Students of America Club. The HOSA election was April 24 for its officers for the 2023-24 school year.

Treasurer: Aditri Chikkam

Coppell High School junior Aditri Chikkam was elected as the treasurer for the Health Occupations Students of America Club. The HOSA election was April 24 for its officers for the 2023-24 school year. (Wendy Le)

Coppell High School junior Aditri Chikkam has been elected as Healthcare Occupations Students of America treasurer for the 2023-24 school year. This is Chikkam’s second position since joining the club, her first being HOSA historian in her sophomore year.

What are the roles of the treasurer?

The treasurer would usually manage the money, help with the fundraisers and manage all the accounts, basically managing all the finances for HOSA.

What interests you about medicine?

This is the most basic answer, but helping people. Ever since I was younger, my parents pushed me to the path. After shadowing and doing all these internships, I’ve realized how much love I have for the field.

What made you decide to run for treasurer?

I had a nonprofit [Give Life a Little Love] before, and I was the money manager of that. I knew what it would entail, but I also thought I’d be able to make a bigger impact in HOSA. As the historian, I saw what the treasurer would do, and I thought I could do pretty good at that too.

What do you admire about the current leadership?

They are very well put together because I know with the adviser change that must not have been easy. It’s a whole new experience, so it’s pretty impressive that they’ve been able to keep it together and be so in charge and up to date with everything.

What do you want to build on for next year?

We should do more fundraisers in order for everyone to be able to participate and also change the timing of them because the HOSA teacher fundraiser was during AP exams and people were busy. If we had more volunteers we could have more opportunities and raise more money for our competitions and everything else.

What does it mean to you to have been selected  by your peers?

I felt really good that day. I felt really honored because people understood my message and what changes I’m trying to make and they elected me so that I could make a change.

What is something that you are excited about for the next year?

I am excited to work with my new team. It’s a fun experience because you end up spending a lot of time with these people because you’re there before and after school. I’m excited to see what new changes we bring to HOSA.

Follow Nyah (@nyah_rama) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.