Freshmen dominating competition despite novice level

CHS9+students+Akshita+Krishnan+and+Nidhi+Ilanthalaivan%2C+pictured+behind+Coppell+Town+Center+Plaza+on+Nov.+30%2C+were+named+finalists+for+congressional+debate+at+a+virtual+debate+tournament+held+at+the+University+of+North+Texas+on+Oct.+27-28.+Outside+of+debate%2C+Krishnan+enjoys+writing+poetry+and+Illanthalaivan+enjoys+painting.+

Angelina Liu

CHS9 students Akshita Krishnan and Nidhi Ilanthalaivan, pictured behind Coppell Town Center Plaza on Nov. 30, were named finalists for congressional debate at a virtual debate tournament held at the University of North Texas on Oct. 27-28. Outside of debate, Krishnan enjoys writing poetry and Illanthalaivan enjoys painting.

Angelina Liu, Staff Writer

CHS9 students Akshita Krishnan and Nidhi Ilanthalaivan anxiously watch the debate tournament management system, Tabroom, to see results of the debate tournament. After a few tense seconds, they see their names on the bracket. They have made it to the finals. 

In the John Gosset Memorial Tournament at the University of North Texas in October,  Krishnan and Ilanthalaivan placed as finalists, despite the extensive process.

First, debaters are assigned a judge and opponent through Tabroom. Then, they compete for four rounds and the winner is decided by who wins three out of the four. This process occurs for  preliminary rounds, quarterfinals, semifinals and finals.   

Although both Krishnan and Ilanthalaivan have never taken a formal debate class before freshman year, they are not unfamiliar with the principles behind it. At Coppell Middle School West, Krishnan and Ilanthalaivan both participated in Youth & Government where they excelled and learned about effective public speaking. Krishnan, who moved from New Jersey to Texas in seventh grade, competed in Model UN, which served as a building block for what was to come. 

“I really like the public speaking and political aspect debate gives me,” Krishnan said. “Whenever I have to research something I really haven’t heard of before, I can educate myself on newer topics that aren’t in mass media.” 

CHS9 student Akshita Krishnan, pictured outside of Coppell Town Center Plaza on Nov. 30, was named a finalist for congressional debate at a virtual debate tournament held at the University of North Texas on Oct. 27-28. Outside of debate, Krishnan enjoys writing poetry. (Angelina Liu)

Out of the five types of debate, congressional, extemporaneous speaking, Lincoln Douglas, policy and public forum, congressional debate is Ilanthalaivan and Krishnan’s favorite.  In congressional debate, students create bills and resolutions to vote and debate on. 

“[Congressional debate is] fun,” Ilanthalaivan said. “You don’t have to rely too much on evidence and you get to interact with people. It is very similar to what I did last year in eighth grade, and I scored a high medal in the state competition.” 

Krishnan and Ilanthalaivan both draw major inspiration from junior debate captain Natasha Banga. They admire her work ethic, skill and overall attitude towards debate. 

“One thing that would really describe them well is being receptive to feedback and their willingness to improve,” Banga said. “They were asking me all the right questions in order to set themselves up for success at tournaments, which is something pretty unique.” 

In the virtual setting, it has become difficult for teachers to get to know their students. However, this is not the case for CHS9 debate teacher Eric Melin who has seen the work ethic of the two freshmen.

“[Krishnan and Ilanthalaivan] have emerged as two of the more eager ones to get into debate tournaments early on in their freshman year,” Melin said. “They sign up for every tournament that they have the opportunity to. They compete in varsity events which most of my kids do not want to touch with a 10-foot pole. That kind of courage is what I look for in debaters.” 

Outside of debate, Krishnan and Ilanthalaivan both began putting time into other art forms to take away from stress caused by online school. Ilanthalaivan enjoys painting for the relaxation and creativity it provides.  Krishnan enjoys poetry because it is a form of self-expression. 

“The art form of poetry comes easily to me,” Krishnan said. “I started writing collections of poetry that are fully me, and now I enjoy it as a fun time hobby.”

Ilanthalaivan’s ability to work in a team and leadership skills show through her relationships with friends. 

“[Ilanthalaivan] is a great and trustworthy friend,” CHS9 student Manaswee Upreti said. “I can rely on her, and she is always there for everyone and she is a great listener.”

CHS9 student Nidhi Ilanthalaivan, pictured outside of Coppell Town Center Plaza on Nov. 30, was named a finalist for congressional debate at a virtual debate tournament held at the University of North Texas on Oct. 27-28. Outside of debate, Illanthalaivan enjoys painting. (Angelina Liu)

The same goes for Krishnan, who is reliable and cares deeply for her relationships. 

“[Krishnan]  is the most caring, encouraging and supportive friend,” CHS9 student Anusha Narway said. “If I ever need something for debate or homework, I know I can always count on her.” 

Follow Angelina (@angelinaliiu) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.