Hard work breeds success

Sharma leaves CHS with well rounded portfolio of variety of achievements

Photo courtesy of Bikal Sharma

Coppell High School senior Bikal Sharma receives an award for being the fourth best trader during the Top Trader Competition at the University of Texas at Dallas last year. Sharma will attend Stanford University after high school and pursue a medical degree.

Camila Villarreal, Staff Writer

Yes, Coppell High School senior Bikal Sharma is a smart kid. 

He is going to Stanford University in the fall, after all. He is a semifinalist for the Nation Merit Scholarship competition, he is a silver medalist for the National Spanish Exam and he is an experienced model United Nations participant. 

Throughout high school he has been recognized for being a good student and a good person, earning him a spot in National Honor Society, National Spanish Honor Society and CHS Red Jackets. 

Bikal is a very friendly, cultured, intelligent young man,” CHS AP Chemistry teacher Amy Snyder said. “He really is a Renaissance man, in that he is very knowledgeable in a variety of areas, and yet always looking to learn more in any concept.”

It may be easy to say he is lucky, and Sharma himself admits that it is in part true, but it was not luck alone that got him into his dream college or earned him a national AP Scholar award. 

“It is a combination of both that got me to where I am,” Sharma said. “I’m really blessed to have had a lot of opportunities to achieve things, but at the same time I’ve worked hard to open doors that I would not have otherwise opened. I know that many other kids could not have the same start in life that I did, so I’m incredibly grateful for what I was given.”

Sharma began high school at Maggie L. Walker Governor’s School in Richmond, Va. and ended it at CHS. His eight year involvement in model UNs and his fascination with the world of medicine and scientific research fueled his desire for a university that would allow him to explore both. 

“Medicine is really just a privately run industry, and I am one of many people who believe this is wrong and want to promote equity and ensure that people are getting the medicine they need,” Sharma said. “Stanford stood out to me as my top choice because it offered a major in human biology that was a good combination of my main interests.”

As far as extracurriculars go, Sharma has tried a variety of things. At his former school, he dabbled in robotics competitions and joined a quiz bowl team, taking home awards for both, and when he transferred schools, Sharma added the National Art Society to his list. 

This packed resume of achievements, experiences and accomplishments was not a product of taking it easy. Sharma admits to having sacrificed a lot of social time for school activities or volunteering. 

“If I [were to] have one regret from high school it is that I neglected a lot of time that I could have dedicated to enjoying myself with friends or doing something other than schoolwork,” Sharma said.

Diving into academics built Sharma into not just a good learner, but a capable educator, too. Those who know him can always expect to be well informed by his vast knowledge of geography, economics, culture and politics. This year, he participated in the TEDxYOUTH event at CHS where he gave a speech about reducing voter apathy with financial incentive for fulfilling civil responsibilities. Sharma also worked as a tutor at Gideon Math and Reading Center during his sophomore and senior year. 

As he graduates, Sharma looks to his future, ready to work even harder than ever before. The only downside will be being far away from his friends and family, such as CHS senior Eda Kim, who Sharma cites as “incredibly supportive of his goals.”

“I’m going to the [University of Texas at Dallas], [and] I definitely feel sad since I [won’t be able to] see him as often, but it shouldn’t be that bad as long as he comes by once in a while,” Kim said.

Follow Camila Villarreal (@fliipthewriter) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.