Artists rising up to face COVID-19 as community

Painted on watercolor paper with instant coffee, this bear is on display on Instagram as a part of the Art in Place Coppell movement. The Coppell Arts Council, Coppell ISD, Coppell Creatives and the Coppell Art Center have created a virtual art exhibit called Art in Place Coppell to show artists response to social distancing guidelines.

Photo courtesy Kate Shema

Painted on watercolor paper with instant coffee, this bear is on display on Instagram as a part of the Art in Place Coppell movement. The Coppell Arts Council, Coppell ISD, Coppell Creatives and the Coppell Art Center have created a virtual art exhibit called Art in Place Coppell to show artists’ response to social distancing guidelines.

Anjali Krishna, Staff Writer

With the hope of alleviating anxiety amidst coronavirus concerns, the Coppell Arts Council has joined hands with Coppell ISD, Coppell Creatives and the Coppell Art Center to launch the at-home art initiative Art in Place Coppell. 

As Coppell’s residents self-isolate, the city’s art groups wanted to share Coppell artists’ responses to social distancing guidelines. Inspired by Pinkerton Elementary School art teacher Kristin Huckle, a team came together to create a virtual exhibit for the community. 

“Several creative people in town recognized that wonderful things were happening in people’s homes but not being seen as widely as possible,” Huckle said. “As people began adapting to sheltering at home, I was seeing so many wonderful projects from some of my creative friends and felt like more people needed to see what they were doing.”

All community members are encouraged to share their family-friendly works of visual and performing arts on Instagram under #ARTinPlaceCoppell, with the only requirement being that the work is created under social distancing. Works of art are shared under the hashtag and are also reposted to the @artinplacecoppell Instagram account.

“The idea was that expressing yourself creatively is healthy and empowering when we are facing challenging times, and that shouldn’t happen in the dark,” Huckle said. “Sometimes being creative is only half of a person’s need – the other half might be being seen and celebrated. It takes guts to make something creative and it takes even more guts to put it out there and share it.”

Photo courtesy James Helms
A six-foot wide chalk drawing of an octopus is on display at Andy Brown Park as a part of the Art in Place Coppell movement. The Coppell Arts Council, Coppell ISD, Coppell Creatives and the Coppell Art center have created a virtual art exhibit called Art in Place Coppell to show artists’ response to social distancing guidelines.

Coppell ISD, the Coppell Arts Center, Coppell Creatives and the Coppell Arts Council will curate entries onto their websites weekly throughout the pandemic. Once social distancing guidelines are lifted, pieces will be featured in Coppell ISD’s magazine and be placed on display at the Coppell Arts Center.

When you are in a situation that feels out of control, being able to create something that makes you feel just that much more in charge of the situation is a powerful feeling,” CHS junior and Coppell Arts Council student liaison Sophia Greenberg said. “As a teenager in isolation, this project gives me an opportunity to connect with other teens through creative means in terms of the current situation.”

Working alongside this movement is Createria Studios, one of many small businesses participating in Art in Place Coppell. Createria is also responsible for the creation of the drawing prompt challenge #StayHome&SketchApril

“I keep busy with new projects each day to keep my mind off of [worrying], and to channel my energy into creating,” Createria Studios owner Kate Shema said. “Online training is helping me recreate how I can teach art online in a virtual classroom.”

Along with Coppell businesses, smaller Instagram creatives have gotten the chance to share their work with the community.

“A day for me is so much better if I have the opportunity to capture a view of Coppell through my lens and then share it,” local photographer Anne Diamond said. “I would hope and I see from the comments that people enjoy our beautiful sunsets and nature that is found in Coppell. Even as they are sheltered in their homes.”

Moving forward, the movement intends to show Coppell that a community can turn to creativity in uncertain times and that a community can find beauty in one another.

“I think that when times get tough, creativity truly shines – whether that is a doctor testing new ideas for care and cures, or a person using dance or painting to express what they are going through,” Huckle said. “When strange situations make me feel powerless, creativity gives some power back. There is always something that you can do – be your awesome self, share and show yourself and cheer other people on.”

Follow Anjali (@anjalikrishna_) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.