Coppell hockey slides into action to earn state title

Neveah Jones

Coppell senior left wing Clark Parlier handles the puck on Oct. 28 at the Children’s Health StarCenter in Valley Ranch. Senior Night takes place against Mansfield today at 6:30 p.m. at Children’s Health StarCenter in Farmers Branch.

Sarah Woo, Staff Writer

After months of continuous practice and determination, Coppell hockey has accomplished what many hockey teams may only dream of achieving: qualifying for state.

“We started the season off slow,” Coppell senior defenseman Camden Restivo said. “But as of the last seven games, we’re on a seven game winning streak.”

Coppell faces Mansfield today at 6:30 p.m. at the Children’s Health StarCenter in Farmers Branch. The players look forward to the 2020 Texas State High School Hockey Championships, which run Friday through Sunday. 

“The team grew closer and we caught a lot of fire – we beat three of the best teams back to back [Plano West, Keller and Flower Mound], week after week,” Restivo said. “Overall, we started to bond and mesh with the team a lot better. Everyone got their egos out of the way and decided for the better of the team to play what their role was.”

Prior to the state tournament, however, Coppell is celebrating its Senior Night. This game will recognize the accomplishments of the seniors on the varsity team.

“Senior Night shows how each of the players has grown, where they are going to go in life and how hockey has molded them,” Restivo said. “My coach has had a strong impact, Coach Chris Shakesby, and he’s been my coach all five years – from eighth grade up until my senior year now – so I have a really strong connection with him. It really just puts into perspective everything great about hockey, which is who it turns you into.”

Although the season is approaching an end, anticipation for the team’s results throughout the state tournament prevails.

“Currently, this Friday, since we’re going into state, that is probably my most sought after moment [of this season],” Restivo said. “All five years I’ve played, we’ve come close to qualifying but have never qualified. I’m sure now that we’re qualified and on a good streak, we’re going to go to state and make something happen for our senior class this year.”

Follow Sarah (@syw6338) and @SidekickSports on Twitter