Cowgirls to recognize teachers while taking on Nimitz

Coppell+senior+guard+Nicole+Obialo+shields+against+Irving+sophomore+guard+Ra%E2%80%99Nyi+Patterson+on+Saturday+in+the+CHS+Arena.+The+Cowgirls+face+Irving+Nimitz+tomorrow+in+the+CHS+Arena+at+6%3A30+p.m.+

Sally Parampottil

Coppell senior guard Nicole Obialo shields against Irving sophomore guard Ra’Nyi Patterson on Saturday in the CHS Arena. The Cowgirls face Irving Nimitz tomorrow in the CHS Arena at 6:30 p.m.

Sally Parampottil, Executive Sports Editor

The Coppell girls basketball team aims to close the gap between its District 6-6A win/loss record tomorrow as it faces Irving Nimitz in the CHS Arena at 6:30 p.m. 

An early first quarter lead to Flower Mound on Tuesday was lost, adding another defeat to the record. Now 2-4 in district, the Cowgirls face a team behind in the standings (with the Vikings being 1-5) to close out the first round of district play. 

“[Flower Mound game] did not go as expected,” Coppell sophomore forward India Howard said. “We started out strong, we showed the potential that we could’ve been, [but] we just got away from it. We have some progress to make but we got to see what we could be and what we know we can be. It’s not that we lack the potential or skill to do so. It was a good reminder that, when we choose to be, we are a great team.” 

Tomorrow is also Teacher Appreciation Night. 

“Each player chose [her] favorite teacher, the teacher they want to appreciate,” Howard said. “Everyone could have one, some people who had the same teacher had to go find more. At the game, we’re going to give them a T-shirt to wear and everything else, you’ll have to see at Teacher Appreciation Night.” 

Follow Sally (@sparampottil) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.