December TOTI: Rushing does not take responsibility of teacher and coach lightly

Ava

Coppell High School physics teacher and assistant baseball coach Clint Rushing assists CHS seniors Sophia Raza, Devan Patel, Andrew Tao and Vanuli Arya construct a working circuit board during his third period on Dec. 4. Rushing has taught at CHS for 11 years and was named The Sidekick’s December teacher of the issue.

Sapna Amin, Staff Writer

Coppell High School AP Physics II and baseball coach Clint Rushing is The Sidekick‘s December Teacher of the Issue, chosen by our staff. Rushing has been teaching at CHS for 11 years and hopes to help his students find their identity. He wants students to understand they shouldn’t be defined by grades, because they are so much more.

Why did you decide to become a teacher?

I have been a teacher for 12 years. Before CHS I taught at Cypress Springs in Houston. I liked being around kids and the school system. Both my parents were teachers so I grew up around that kind of environment. My mom taught chemistry and my dad was the principal of Klein Oak. Mom teaches chemistry. Honestly, I couldn’t see myself doing anything different. I like the variety that every day brings because you never know what situation will come up, whether it’s something dealing with the academic stuff or getting to know students in the classroom.

What is special about being a physics teacher and coach?

I got my bachelor’s degree in physics. I have gotten the opportunity to teach multiple aspects of physics and have enjoyed all of them. I decided to also take on the role of a baseball coach because I played [baseball] during high school and college. Teaching and coaching puts you in different elements. The relationships and interactions with [students] in the baseball program differs from that of the classroom. When we are in baseball season, it’s hard to balance because it tends to take up a lot of time. It changes my schedule so I have to adjust and make a new routine. The hardest part is time away from my family—thankfully, my wife does support it. 

How would you describe yourself?

I would describe myself as laid back and understanding to most kids’ situations. I provide my students with a relaxed atmosphere where students are able to prioritize their work. I’m most passionate about making a positive impact on the kids I teach. I understand my job is a big responsibility, which I don’t take lightly. My goal is to ease any anxiety or fears they might have about being told who they need to be and what defines them. 

What motivates you every day?

I see the way the kids act through social media, TV and conversations. You can tell that they are looking and searching for their identity or where they can find their value. The world does such a poor job of telling people where they need to figure out who they are. I hope to help kids understand who they are, who they can be and where their value is.

Follow Sapna @sapnamin6 and @CHSCampusNews