Early surge takes down Mesquite

Cowboys heading west for Midland Lee tournament

Sally Parampottil, Executive Sports Editor

At the last second of the first quarter, Coppell sophomore guard Ryan Agarwal shot a three-pointer, bringing the Coppell basketball team to a 15-point lead over Mesquite. The wide gap in the score was constant throughout the entire game, the Cowboys winning, 71-48, last night in the CHS Arena. 

Neveah Jones
Coppell sophomore guard Ryan Agarwal goes for a layup against Mesquite in the CHS Arena on Tuesday. Coppell defeated the Skeeters, 71-48.

After Coppell sophomore guard Anthony Black took the first points of the game 15 seconds in, Coppell never trailed.

The Cowboys led, 36-12, at the half.

It appeared Mesquite was closing the gap in the third quarter, with the score closing to 49-30 after two three-pointers from the Skeeters. The gap closed even further by the end, 53-38. 

“Third quarter, we kind of let it loose, but other than that, we played [well],” Agarwal said. “We ended up with a win like we wanted to.”

A minute into the fourth quarter, the lead was cut to just 13 points before Coppell pulled away for the victory.  

Throughout, the Cowboys’ plays were characterized by shooting numerous three-pointers and taking advantage of a weak Mesquite defense. 

“It always feels good with it goes in,” Agarwal said. “The student section there, everything was hyped. It was fun.” 

Agarwal, Black and Coppell senior guard Brandon Taylor were among the strongest performances through the game. The Cowboys moved to 9-1 and are winners of four straight.

Coppell travels to Midland for the Midland Lee Oilman’s Tournament, which is a three-day tournament from Thursday to Saturday. 

“[This game] is just giving us more momentum to play,” Agarwal said. “I don’t know who we’re playing but [we will] look over the schedule and go over in practice, and then we’ll just keep going and keep winning games.” 

Follow Sally (@sparampottil) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.