Silent but dominant

Pak leading Cowgirls’ offense with work ethic

Coppell+sophomore+forward+Michelle+Pak+executes+a+ball+roll+during+a+drill+in+fourth+period+soccer+practice+on+Dec.+2+at+Buddy+Echols+Field.+As+a+freshman%2C+Pak+was+on+the+JV+soccer+team+before+moving+up+to+varsity+early+on+in+the+2019-20+season.+

Samantha Freeman

Coppell sophomore forward Michelle Pak executes a ball roll during a drill in fourth period soccer practice on Dec. 2 at Buddy Echols Field. As a freshman, Pak was on the JV soccer team before moving up to varsity early on in the 2019-20 season.

Anvitha Reddy, Staff Writer

The crowd is silent. All eyes are on the ball. The Cowgirls attempt the shot but Mansfield Lake Ridge saves the ball. The score is 0-0 between Coppell and Lake Ridge during the fourth minute of overtime, until then freshman forward Michelle Pak scores the game winning goal. The goal gives the Cowgirls a win in the Class 6A Region I Area playoffs during the 2018-19 season. 

Pak highlights this moment as pivotal in her soccer career. 

As a freshman just being pulled up to varsity, Pak was unsure of exerting her dominance on the field. However, throughout the season, Pak’s confidence surged.

“She was very timid initially and we saw her as someone who was trying to feel things out,” Coppell assistant Rebecca Sawers said. “[Now,] she knows what she wants to do and she’s willing to take on defenders and will go all out without hesitation.”

During her freshman year, Pak was an instrumental part of the Cowgirls’ offense. Challenging each defender and using her speed to intimidate her opponents, she quickly established her role on the field. However, off the field, Pak is reserved.

“[Off the field], I’m really quiet, I don’t talk a lot,” Pak said. “I lead with my actions rather than my voice.”

Pak’s quiet nature is observed by her peers and coaches alike. However, her silence is never a hindrance to her hard work.

“She is very quiet, she doesn’t say much,” Sawers said. “But, she is definitely someone who comes in and works really hard.”

Pak began the 2018-19 season as a JV player, eventually moved up to varsity and later in the year and was named a District 6-6A All District Award Winner. 

Although Pak’s reserved nature while on the sidelines juxtaposes her aggressive nature with the ball, her success is a direct result of her hard work.

Samantha Freeman
Coppell sophomore forward Michelle Pak passes to a teammate during a drill in fourth period soccer practice on Dec. 2 at Buddy Echols Field. As a freshman, Pak was on the JV soccer team before moving up to varsity early on in the 2018-19 season.

“She’s always been a hard worker but once she got into varsity, she started to work extra hard,” Michelle’s father, Brian Pak, said. “She is really competitive. If she loses, she works very hard at what she did wrong.”

Although quiet, Michelle’s personality is not a hindrance to her communication while playing. When on the field, her ability to communicate with her teammates allows her to be a successful player. 

“As she got more comfortable [playing on varsity], you could see her kind of get out of her shell a little bit and this year has been a breakout year for her,” Sawers said. “She will go all out without any hesitation; it’s just part of her personality.”

Michelle’s continuous work ethic pushes her team forward; although an underclassmen, her persistence inspires those around her.

“Over the years, she’s definitely gotten more driven and focused on playing and she is just someone you can count on to work hard everyday,” Coppell varsity midfielder Mackenzie Shannon said. “When playing, she’s extremely focused and doesn’t give up.”

Michelle’s passion for soccer has grown exponentially since she started playing for FC Dallas, a Frisco-based soccer club. 

“She has been playing for a while, she started when she was in second grade and she’s being loving it ever since,” Mr. Pak said. 

Over the past season, Michelle has challenged her teammates and established lasting bonds with them. 

“[I’m so happy] I am able to be with people who are like my sisters,” Michelle said. “I can talk to them and I know they’re there for me.” 

On the field, Michelle’s skills have strengthened the Cowgirl’s defense and have contributed to the environment of Cowgirl soccer.

“She is going to do anything she can and give 100% effort, which makes everyone else around her want to do better,” Sawers said. “[Coppell defenders] don’t want to get beat by Michelle so they work hard to keep up with her.”

This season, Michelle will continue to play with Coppell’s varsity soccer. 

“I know she is going to kill it on the field and just do Michelle Pak things, which are taking advantage of her speed and her technical ability,” Sawers said.  “She’ll be scoring some goals for us this season.”

Follow Anvitha (@anvithareddytx) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.