Wrestling looks to start season strong at Coppell Round-Up

Sidekick file photo

Coppell junior Ananya Sampathkumar wrestles senior Trinity Zapata in a practice match in January last season. Coppell is hosting the Coppell Round-Up tomorrow in the Coppell High School Field House at 9 a.m. Sidekick file photo

Meer Mahfuz, Staff Writer

Coppell wrestling competes against six teams, one of which is a girls-only team, at the Coppell Round-up tomorrow in the Coppell High School Field House to open the 2019-20 season.

The Coppell girls team begin wrestling at 9:30 a.m., and varsity boys start at 10 a.m.

“This first tournament is a great way for the new girls to get a feel for the sport and for the returning girls to scope out some of their competition,” Coppell senior girls captain Brooke Massovial said. “Winning this tournament is also an important way to set the tone for the rest of [the] season.”

The Coppell Round-Up is also a food drive benefiting the North Texas Food Bank, where athletes and attendees are asked to provide canned food and other non-perishable goods to gain admittance to the meet.

“The first tournament of the season is always a huge help since we collect thousands of cans for the North Texas Food Bank,” Massoival said. “It’s really nice to participate in something we know goes back to help the community.”

Following its second-place finish at state last season, girls wrestling is hoping to keep up its dominating presence.

“We don’t have everyone we had last year, but we have so many hard workers on this team this year and I believe that if we keep putting in work then a team state title is within reach,” Massovial said. 

Follow Meer (@meer_mahfuz) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.