Theater department breaks news with fall musical “Newsies”

Camila Flores

The Coppell High School theatre department practices their fall musical, “Newsies”, at dress rehearsal on Tuesday. Guests can attend “Newsies” this Friday, Saturday and Sunday, as well as Nov. 9 and 10.

Trisha Atluri, Staff Writer/Photographer

Starting this weekend, the Coppell High School theater department is presenting its fall musical, “Newsies”. 

The musical tells the story of newsboy Jack Kelly in the 1899 paperboy strike. The boys strike when Joseph Pulitzer, owner of The World, unfairly raises the price of newspapers. The newsies band together to fight child labor, allowing for inspirational messages of perseverance and righteousness.

Preparation for “Newsies” started in the summer, with progress on the musical picking up throughout the school year. Both the tech crew and the cast spend hours every day at rehearsal preparing for “Newsies”.

Posters advertising the musical can be seen adorning the halls of CHS. The cast and crew utilize social media platforms, such as Instagram, to encourage their followers to attend. Assistant choreographer senior Mikiyah Parker, who plays Albert, proudly urges friends, family and strangers alike to support the theater department at “Newsies”.

“I’m looking forward to how the audience [will] react, because this is a very dance-heavy show, which makes it different from what we have performed in the past,” Parker said. “I’m excited forward to seeing [the audience’s] reaction and to walking out and seeing all of our family and friends coming to see us.”

Guests are welcome to see the musical this Friday, Saturday and Sunday, as well as Nov. 9 and 10. The Friday and Saturday shows start at 7:30 p.m., and the Sunday shows start at 2:30 p.m. The musical is around two hours and fifteen minutes long, including intermission.

Reserved seating tickets are $16.50, and general admission tickets are $10 for students and seniors and $12.50 for adults. For a more convenient option, guests can buy general admission tickets at the door, along with concessions and merchandise.

Follow Trisha (@trishatluri) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.