Cowboys with final chance to clinch playoff berth

Samantha Freeman

Coppell sophomore quarterback Landry Fee gets ready to snap during the game against Irving in the annual Homecoming game last week at Buddy Echols Field. The Cowboys face Flower Mound tonight at 7 p.m. at Neal Wilson Stadium.

Arman Merchant, Staff Writer

Everything is on the line as the Coppell football team looks to clinch a playoff spot, as it faces Flower Mound at Neal Wilson Stadium tonight at 7 p.m. 

After three consecutive losses, the Cowboys (3-5 overall and 2-3 in District 6-6A) bounced back last week with a 55-7 win against Irving in the annual homecoming game. The Cowboys can clinch a playoff berth after winning out this week against the Jaguars (5-3 overall and 3-2 in District 6-6A) and Irving Nimitz next Friday.

“The team is more confident, but we have to seize the moment,” Coppell junior quarterback Ryan Walker said. “We had worked really hard to get to this moment and it is our only chance to move on and get that playoff spot.”

The Cowboys (3-5 overall and 2-3 in District 6-6A) have had ups and downs throughout the course of the season. The Jaguars are on a two-game losing streak after winning three consecutive District 6-6A games.

Three spots of the four have been clinched by Marcus, Lewisville and Hebron respectively, as the Cowboys and Jaguars fight for the final spot. Both teams are ready to fight to ensure their season doesn’t end tonight.

“Everything has led up to this point, we have to go out and put on a show,” Walker said. “This is our seniors’ final chance to play in a high school playoff game, and we have to do everything we can to come up on top.”

Follow Arman (@arman_merch) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.