Cowgirls dominate Tigers in second matchup

Tracy Tran

Coppell senior defensive specialist Isabelle Bowles serves during the District 6-6A match against Irving on Friday in the CHS Arena. The Cowgirls defeated the Tigers in three sets, 25-6, 25-3, 25-9.

Anjali Krishna, Staff Writer

The stomping of Cowgirls’ feet filled the CHS Arena last night as they swept up Irving 3-0 (25-6, 25-3, 25-9) in under an hour in their last home match of the season.

The Coppell volleyball team hoped to use last night’s match to prep for its match against Hebron the following week by improving its defense.

The Cowgirls play Hebron at 6:30 p.m. next Tuesday at Hebron High School.

“The goal was just to be disciplined, have fun. We wanted to really rep the defense that we plan to do next game against Hebron, that’s a big game for us,” Coppell sophomore defensive specialist Beca Centeno said. “We just played as if we were playing Hebron, which we will be next week. They have two huge middles, so we’re repping our defense, working on blocking them, and on pins to get over them.”

Irving’s barrage of miss-hits and serves into the net allowed Coppell to close the match easily. The team successfully executed the ball well and hit downwards on each shot, making it challenging for Irving to reach the ball. 

“It was a really special match. This was our last time playing together with the seniors at home and it was just so much fun, we loved it so much,” junior middle blocker Madison Gilliland said. “We had really good team chemistry. We had a lot of fun and enjoyed the game, we didn’t put too much pressure on ourselves. We just went out there had fun and did our job.”

“We need to win in order to be third in district,” junior defensive specialist/setter Mari Taira. “We’re going to work really hard over the weekend in order to beat them.”

Follow Anjali (@anjalikrishna_) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.