Cowboys to face Irving in Homecoming game

Coppell sophomore quarterback Landry Fee and senior defensive back Gavin Osteen run out during the game against Marcus on Oct. 18 at Marauders Stadium. The Cowboys face Irving tonight at 7 p.m. at Buddy Echols Field for the Homecoming game.

Neveah Jones

Neveah Jones

Neveah Jones

Sally Parampottil, Executive Sports Editor

An explosion of mums, garters and school spirit await the Coppell football team tonight as it faces Irving in its annual Homecoming game at Buddy Echols Field at 7 p.m. 

The Cowboys now sit at 1-3 in District 6-6A and 2-5 overall, following three consecutive district losses. 

“We were real down because [the recent loss to Marcus] really makes our playoff chances a lot slimmer and we’re going to have to work real hard to try and get that playoff spot,” Coppell junior quarterback Ryan Walker said. “Once Monday came, we lifted our spirits a little bit and focused on the next game.”

Irving is also on a losing streak, though larger than Coppell’s. Sitting tied for last with Nimitz in District 6-6A, the Tigers are 0-4 in district play and 1-7 overall, having only won their first game against Haltom.

In addition to Coppell alumni returning for Homecoming, familiar faces will be seen in the Irving team.  

“They have a couple of coaches who used to be here at Coppell that coached some of us whenever we were on the freshmen and JV teams,” Walker said. “They already know what we can do. Their coaching staff is really good over there, so I can expect that to be a factor.”

Walker was coached by former Coppell assistant coach Justin Frazier, who is now assistant coach at Irving. 

“We’re really excited for this week,” Walker said. “We have a lot of preparation going into it, bouncing back from last week’s loss to Marcus in overtime. That was a really tough one to swallow but we’re really excited for this week and we’re hoping to put on a show for everyone there to watch the homecoming game.” 

Follow Sally (@sparampottil) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.