Hawks survive late Cowboys surge


Sydney Rowe

Coppell senior wide receiver Jan Rivera is tackled after a catch in the red zone. The Cowboys fell short in their first home District 6-6A game, 35-27, against Hebron on Friday night at Buddy Echols Field.

Arman Merchant, Staff Writer

Editor’s note: This story has been corrected from its original version. The Sidekick apologizes for the error.

With 42 seconds left in the first home Division 6-6A game of the season, Coppell junior quarterback Ryan Walker was able to close the lead to eight with a touchdown pass to senior wide receiver Bishop Bell.

However, the Hawks were able to recover the ensuring onside kick, as the Cowboys fell, 35-27, on Friday at Buddy Echols Field.

The Cowboys were able to put two touchdowns late in the fourth quarter, after a slow start on offense. Walker was able to connect with sophomore wide receiver Anthony Black for a 34yard touchdown reception with 1:34 left in the game.

“We gave up some big plays on both sides of the ball,” Black said. The team showed character when we fought to the very end, we just have to come out more physical moving forward.”

Both teams started very slow on offense with each side unable to move the ball down the field. After three seperate drives on three and outs, the Hebron offense was able to pull ahead and took the lead 14-10 at the end of the first half.

With a sixyard quarterback touchdown run and another 20yard touchdown run, set up by an interception, the Hawks (4-1, 2-0 in District 6-6A) had pulled away, 28-13, with less than 11 minutes left in the game. The defense was able to score once more, after they returned an 86 yard interception for a touchdown.

Coppell’s defense also struggled in the second half, giving up big yard on the ground to Hebron quarterback Carson Harris. The Hawks efficient ground game helped control the clock, making it much harder on the Cowboys (2-3, 1-1 in District 6-6A) to get things moving on both sides.

The Cowboys special teams unit had a big game, recovering two onside kicks, one with 6:38 left in the third quarter and the other late in the fourth quarter which set up the Cowboys final score of the night.

“We weren’t ready for the different plays that they used on both sides of the ball,” Black said. “This upcoming week, we have to focus on getting better on making big plays and being unpredictable of offense.” 

The Cowboys return to district action at Buddy Echols Field against Lewisville on Friday at 7 p.m.

Follow Arman (@arman_merch) and Sidekick Sports @SidekickSports