Image and video hosting by TinyPic" />

“Project Prom” gets CHS classy Image and video hosting by TinyPic

By Angela Almeida
    Opinions Editor
    Video by Peyton Wood

With only one year at Coppell High School under her belt, Varsity cheer coach Brynlea Taylor sure knows how to accessorize – for prom, that is. As the orchestrator of this year’s first annual “Project Prom,” Taylor is creating a place where girls can find classy prom dresses for free.

“This is all worth it for even one girl,” Taylor said. “This has nothing to do with being needy; it’s about being smart with your money.”

With over 50 dresses donated from generous students and some of Taylor’s past wardrobe, Project Prom offers a variety of dresses of different brands, colors and styles. Open to CHS and Ranchview High School students, this idea essentially revolves around not spending an exorbitant amount of money on one dress for one night.

The dresses, ranging from brands such as BCBG to Marie Lee, are sure to offer classic styles for every preference. Furthermore, sizes of the dresses range from size 2 – 12, allotting for every body type.

“The dresses are color coordinated, three-fourths haven’t been worn,” Taylor said. “These are really nice dresses that I would wear.”

In addition to the dresses, Taylor and fellow helpers have conjured up accessories and shoes to complete the entire style. Students, in turn, are given the chance at a full prom look and able to save money for the prom ticket or dinner.

“Watching their reaction was amazing,” Coppell parent and helper with Project Prom Nelda Heiftez said. “I just thought it was a great idea and something really special for the girls.”

Next year, Taylor hopes to expand Project Prom to the Carrolton, Farmers Branch area. David’s Bridal has also committed to donate to the project as well.

Continuing with her passion for affordable fashion, Taylor plans to set up a booth at the freshman expo on April 30 dubbed “Fashion Gone Green.” There, Taylor will teach girls about ways to reuse their wardrobe and recycles old clothes into new.

“We recycle papers and bottles, why not dresses?” Taylor said.

The last Project Prom is scheduled next Saturday in A104 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Bringing a whole different element to prom, girls can now not dread the price that comes along with a priceless night.  

“I think it is comforting to know there is a place girls can go who don’t want to spend crazy amounts of money for one night,” senior Meg Milosevich said.  “It’s about being wise and classy.”