Texas Stadium imploded, causes some heartache

Rebecca Neumann

Unable to witness the implosion on site, I watched the repeat coverage later yesterday night. I tried to be strong, but it was still pretty traumatizing.

Some may say, “Hey, c’mon. It’s just a stadium; just concrete and steel.” But to others, including me, Texas Stadium always meant more than that. It was not just a run-down building, but the place where I first learned to love the football and the Cowboys.

Watching the implosion itself was not the toughest part for me. Seeing the ex-players talk about the event and why they were not going to watch it, watching the countdown of the best moments in Texas Stadium, that is what made it hard.

Because the implosion did not just end the career of a stadium, but it also marked the ending of an era, an era filled with the likes of Roger Staubach, Tom Landry, Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith. It was difficult to watch knowing that there will never be another opportunity to look up at the whole in the roof and say, “God must be watching his team tonight!” There is no more roof.

However, there are things to remember. The Cowboys are still an awesome franchise, with a brand new, beautiful stadium and very talented players. And all they need is the right timing to bring back the legend of America’s Team.

To watch the implosion for yourself, go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JjV61zYRkE