Cowboys look to find redemption in home opener

Sydney Rowe

Coppell junior quarterback Ryan Walker sets up to pass against Sachse at Williams Stadium on Aug. 30, a 33-30 Sachse victory. The Cowboys plays LD Bell tomorrow night at 7 p.m. at Buddy Echols Field.

Arman Merchant, Staff Writer

The Coppell football team looks to bounce back Friday against L.D. Bell in the home opener, after a loss in a close game against to Sachse.

The Cowboys (0-1) kick off their first home game at 7 p.m. against the Blue Raiders (1-0) at Buddy Echols Field.

The Cowboys got off to a fast start on offense last week with senior quarterback Kevin Shuman taking the lead early, 16-0. With a potential concussion to Shuman in last weeks game, the Cowboys were unable to move down the field, falling 33-30. 

The defense also had trouble, giving large chunks of yardage on the ground to the Mustangs, along with plenty of pre-snap penalties. With this upcoming game, the Cowboys look to get the ground game going and make smart decisions on defense.

“We struggled on both sides of the ball last week,” Coppell coach Mike DeWitt said. “Working on improving throughout the season is our main goal, we are only going to get better.”

With Shuman now on concussion protocol, junior quarterback Ryan Walker will start.

“It is hard to see one of my teammates to go down in a game, especially now that I have to go in and make plays,” Walker said. “The coaches have emphasized staying together as a unit and working me to get ready for this week’s game.”

Pregame tickets are available in the fieldhouse for $4 for students and $6 for adults. Tickets can also be purchased at the gate for $8.

Security policies at Buddy Echols Field

Coppell ISD has revised the security protocol at Buddy Echols Field.

Fans and spectators will now be checked with handheld metal detectors by security personnel before they enter the stadium. There will also be Coppell policemen and women at all entrances and positioned throughout the property. There is also sufficient seating for handicapped individuals, including wheelchair accessibility.

Follow @SidekickSports on Twitter for live coverage and follow Arman @arman_merch.