Cowgirls to face McKinney, aiming to break losing streak

Camila Flores

Coppell senior libero Maci Watrous serves against Irving MacArthur during the 2018-19 season. The Cowgirls face McKinneyl on Tuesday at 6:30 in the CHS Arena.

Sally Parampottil, Executive Sports Editor

Following the Northwest ISD Volleyball Classic last weekend, the Coppell volleyball team returns home to face McKinney at the CHS Arena on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. 

The Cowgirls (10-7) have lost their past five matches, all coming from the weekend tournament. McKinney is also coming off of a loss to Hebron. 

“Going off of this weekend, it motivates us to play harder and to fight more,” CHS sophomore outside hitter Haley Holz said. “It allows us to regroup and establish our team goals and become closer as a team, which will help us to work together more on the court.”

After a summer of training, including conditioning and strength workouts four days of the week for a majority of the break, the Cowgirls have been working on building a strong team. 

“We had a really strong first day and I think we played well the second two days, but we just faced some really tough teams,” Holz said. “Our second and third days didn’t go too well, but we still played pretty strong.” 

Tuesday’s match is the second home match since school began. The Cowgirls played a day prior against Arlington and won in three sets. While district will not begin until Sept. 13 against Irving Nimitz, each match counts towards the higher goal. 

“It’s just getting us ready for district,” Holz said. “Every match is important, it’s an opportunity for us to grow and become better and work things out so that we’re our strongest for district and then for playoffs.” 

Follow @SidekickSports on Twitter for live coverage.