What happened to April Fool’s Day

By Gaby Moran

Back in the good old days of elementary school, every holiday, nation-wide or obscure, was celebrated. But now that those kids grew into teenagers, holidays, like April Fool’s Day, seem to be forgotten.

April Fool’s Day origins are not for certain, but many believe it can go back all the way to sixteenth-century in France. There, the New Year was celebrated on April 1 instead of January 1 until Pope Gregory introduced the new calendar. Some people did not hear about the change and when April 1 came around, they celebrated the New Year and became the fools for getting the date incorrect.

As of today, the holiday is more of a light-hearted day in the United States to play tricks on friends and laugh about it in the end. It was my favorite holiday until it just seemed to die down as everyone grew up.

This is one holiday that needs to be restored not just because it is the only real holiday in April, but to bring smiles on everyone’s faces worldwide deserves recognition.

So pull a prank and get a couple laughs out of it but remember, it’s all for fun!