Fashion designs inspire student to unite classmates, lower costs of prom

Frances Ruiz

Seniors Courntey Schneider and Allison Ramm look through the dresses available at the Whatchamacllit Fashions store site in Addison. Photo Courtesy of Renee Rohani.

Assuming the role of sales lead for Whatchamacallit Fashions, senior Sharon Mathai planned and materialized a get-together for senior girls in need of a prom dress. 

What may have started out as an interest in lowering the mounting and overwhelming costs of prom, however, soon became an innovative and resourceful way for Mathai to not only help others with their search, but to create new memories and experiences along the way. 

Taking place on March 7, the social event was held from 5-7 p.m. at the Whatchamacallit store in Addison. Within the two hour time period, senior girls looked through racks and racks of colorful dresses boasting every type of style and design, and tried on outfits which suited them best. 

Through buying a dress, pair of shoes or accessory item, senior girls would not only have their attire for prom planned, but the amount spent would be deducted from the total cost of Mathai’s dress previously purchased from Whatchamacallit Fashions.

Senior Courtney Schneider, friend of Mathai and participant of the shopping event, feels as though the gathering offered new opportunities to girls throughout the senior class.

“Shopping for a prom dress was something I had to do, but going to help a friend and looking at a new store really broadened my horizons,” Schneider said.

Having searched for a dress at Whatchamacallit Fashions in weeks prior, Mathai grew familiar with the store’s employees and the discounts offered. When a unique, flowing dress of rich colors caught her eye, she expressed great interest in finding out what opportunities for price reduction were available to store customers.  

Through several discussions with the store manager, Mathai learned Whatchamacallit Fashions is willing to reduce the price of her dress for every purchase made by a friend.

“Once I had found the dress I wanted, I started thinking about how the cost could be lowered and made more affordable by the retailer,” Mathai said. “Inviting other girls to the store and showing them the great dresses that are available meant that we could have fun while saving money.”

By starting the Coppell Prom Dress Party Facebook group, Mathai was able to reach out and connect with other girls that were still looking for an outfit to complete the night. To involve a variety of seniors who participate in all types of school activities, Mathai designated peers, such as Kara McFarlane and Alyssa Diggs, as administrators of the group.

As an active member of Vivace! and KCBY, senior Kara McFarlane thinks the group is a great way to get all types of students involved in the event.

“The Facebook group will not only keep everyone up to date on what’s going, but will really help grab the attention of other girls that [Mathai] may not know,” McFarlane said.

Although no items were purchased that evening, the ongoing event created and coordinated by Mathai enables a new source of interaction amongst classmates in addition to great exposure for Whatchamacallit Fashions.

By making individual trips with seniors that express interest and keeping an ear out for last minute shoppers, Mathai intends to carry on her price reducing efforts throughout the upcoming month and final weeks leading up to prom.

5