How journalism allowed me to better understand myself

The+Sidekick+Staff+Writer+Shravya+Mahesh+talks+about+what+journalism+means+to+her%2C+in+celebration+of+Scholastic+Journalism+Week.+Journalism+helped+Mahesh+find+something+she+loves%2C+as+it+also+allowed+her+to+know+herself+better.+

The Sidekick Staff Writer Shravya Mahesh talks about what journalism means to her, in celebration of Scholastic Journalism Week. Journalism helped Mahesh find something she loves, as it also allowed her to know herself better.

Laura Amador-Toro

Laura Amador-Toro

Laura Amador-Toro

Shravya Mahesh, Staff Writer

“What do you want to be when you grow up?”

From the moment this question was posed, I wondered what I would do in the future. I explored various hobbies and fields, including fashion design, forensics and music, yet none of them seemed to stick quite right.

Finally, one day, I stumbled upon writing. I first wrote poems in kindergarten, then shifted to short stories in middle school and even attempted (and, unsurprisingly, failed) to write a full novel on numerous occasions. Yet, one of my earliest memories of writing involves not creative writing, but journalism.

Around first or second grade, I took a couple of sheets of graph paper and my favorite markers and began to create my first newspaper by hand. I made up stories, drew little stick figure people for the photos and even made a crossword puzzle for the games section. That little packet I considered my pride was where my interest in journalism first began.

Years later, as a young teenager, I read a book where the main character was the editor-in-chief of her school’s newspaper. The book’s title has faded from my memory, but the character is still fresh in my mind, mostly because she was someone I aspired to be. She was smart, well-liked and, in my eyes, a perfect character.

With that, I knew I wanted to be a part of a school newspaper.

Now, in high school, my dream has come true. Sometimes, when I sit in our newsroom, I flashback to my younger days, ambitious and determined, hoping to be someone remarkable.

By doing what I love to do, journalism allows me to be that person. Surrounded by equally, if not far more, remarkable people, I realize I have finally made it. I have found the answer to the question that once stumped me.

Journalism is doing more for me than I asked it to. Thanks to my time on The Sidekick, I have gotten to know so many new people. When I cover an event or write about the latest happenings in Coppell, I speak to so many amazing people with vivid, brilliant stories. Uncovering these unique perspectives is often the most rewarding part of journalism.

I know now that every person has a story. As amateur high school journalists, we get to tell these and show off our school’s and community’s gorgeous colors. In doing so, I found my own colors. I love to tell these stories. If it means seeing people’s eyes brighten as they read, fascinated, about their peers and themselves, I would do this for the rest of my life.

That is what journalism is to me.

Follow @shravyamahesh on Twitter. 

Shravya Mahesh, Staff Writer

Shravya Mahesh is a junior and first-year staff writer on The Sidekick. She enjoys doodling, writing short stories, listening to music and singing. She...

1 Comment

One Response to “How journalism allowed me to better understand myself”

1. Nishant Medicharla on February 22nd, 2019 4:53 pm

Shravya, this is such an inspiring story! Keep up the great work on staff. I know you’ll do great things in life!!