CHS Highlight: Marker Luckey

%E2%80%9CI+first+figured+it+out+in+sixth+grade.+I+felt+out+of+place+in+my+body.+I+also+had+hints+when+it+came+to+the+fact+that+as+a+kid%2C+I+always+wanted+to+grow+up+to+look+like+my+uncle+or+my+older+cousin.+But+it+actually+started+with+the+story+of+Leelah+Alcorn%2C+who+was+a+trans+girl+who+passed+from+suicide.+It+was+my+first+time+really+hearing+about+transgender+people+and+learning+about+what+the+term+meant.+I+started+going+by+Marcus%2C+but+then+kids+were+mean+so+I+went+back+into+the+closet+until+finally+coming+back+out+this+fall.+It+was+like%2C+I+had+been+stuck+trying+to+hide%2C+both+from+transphobia+and+the+transgender+community.+I%E2%80%99m+not+the+most+masculine+guy%2C+nor+do+I+feel+the+need+to+be%2C+so+I+know+I%E2%80%99m+probably+going+to+face+criticism+from+other+trans+guys+for+the+fact+I+wear+makeup+and+like+wearing+dresses.+But%2C+overall%2C+I+know+I+can%E2%80%99t+keep+hiding+who+I+am+and+still+be+happy.+There+is+something+so+wonderful+and+fantastic+about+realizing+what+is+going+on+inside+of+your+head+has+a+name.+That+you+aren%E2%80%99t+alone+in+the+world.+It%E2%80%99s+even+more+exciting+when+you+learn+there+is+a+way+to+become+the+person+you+are+meant+to+be%2C+even+if+it%E2%80%99s+going+to+take+a+while.+I+have+found+so+much+love+and+support+from+my+family+and+friends%2C+and+I+know+that+as+long+as+I+have+them%2C+I+can+take+on+the+world+as+my+authentic+self%2C%E2%80%9D+New+Tech+High+%40+Coppell+sophomore+Marker+Luckey+said.+

CHS Highlight: Marker Luckey

“I first figured it out in sixth grade. I felt out of place in my body. I also had hints when it came to the fact that as a kid, I always wanted to grow up to look like my uncle or my older cousin. But it actually started with the story of Leelah Alcorn, who was a trans girl who passed from suicide. It was my first time really hearing about transgender people and learning about what the term meant. I started going by Marcus, but then kids were mean so I went back into the closet until finally coming back out this fall. It was like, I had been stuck trying to hide, both from transphobia and the transgender community. I’m not the most masculine guy, nor do I feel the need to be, so I know I’m probably going to face criticism from other trans guys for the fact I wear makeup and like wearing dresses. But, overall, I know I can’t keep hiding who I am and still be happy. There is something so wonderful and fantastic about realizing what is going on inside of your head has a name. That you aren’t alone in the world. It’s even more exciting when you learn there is a way to become the person you are meant to be, even if it’s going to take a while. I have found so much love and support from my family and friends, and I know that as long as I have them, I can take on the world as my authentic self,” New Tech High @ Coppell sophomore Marker Luckey said.

Laura Amador Toro

Laura Amador Toro

Laura Amador Toro

Laura Amador Toro, Photographer

1 Comment

One Response to “CHS Highlight: Marker Luckey”

1. Molly McGill on January 24th, 2019 12:57 am

I loved this highlight! Love to see Sidekick give a voice to members of the LGBT community! :))