Cowboys look to fly past Cardinals in homecoming matchup

Coppell High School senior running back Ryan Hirt runs past Allen Eagles on an outside run at Buddy Echols Field on Sep. 20 The Cowboys lost to the Allen Eagles, 21-0.

Bren Flechtner

Bren Flechtner

Arman Merchant, Staff Writer

After losing in a shortened game to Allen two weeks ago, the Coppell football team looks to bound back with a win tonight against Irving MacArthur in the homecoming game at Buddy Echols Field.

The Cowboys (2-1) managed only 77 yards of offense in one half against Allen. Coppell coach Mike DeWitt hopes to have balance against the Cardinals (2-1).

“We have to be more versatile offensively,” Coppell coach Mike Dewitt said. “We need to be able to run and throw the ball efficiently.”

The Cowboys will also try to get their running game back, with senior running back Ryan Hirt averaging 7.9 yards per carry and 330 yards throughout the season.

The Cowboys defense also looks to step up, against a high powered Cardinals offense.

“The defense did a great job early on against the Eagles, but we weren’t able to keep up with the Eagles high powered offense,” Dewitt said.

Pregame tickets are available in the fieldhouse for $4 for students and $6 for adults. Tickets can also be purchased at the gate for $8.

Arman Merchant, Staff Writer

Arman Merchant is a first-year staffer on The Sidekick who is mainly a sports writer with a passion for feature stories. His dream since being a child has been to a developer for Adidas, and finds journalism a great way to learn about hard work. Arman has many hobbies, including football and hanging with friends. Twitter: @arman_merch

Bren Flechtner, Photography Editor
Bren Flechtner is a senior and third year staffer on The Sidekick. In her free time, she enjoys sewing, taking photos and spending time with friends and family. She enjoys buying thrifted clothes and making them into a total different pierce of clothing. She also is creating her own website. With comments and concerns, contact her @brenxmckay or...