The Hurt Locker wins big at Academy Awards

Paige Wilson

The Hurt Locker wins big at the Academy Awards. The director of The Hurt Locker Kathryn Bigelow wins best director. She became the very first female reciver of the award in the history of the Academy Awards. She beat her ex-husband James Cameron who directed Avatar. This was a definite shocker on the event that The Hurt Locker beat out the mega film Avatar.

The Hurt Locker also took best film of the year, once again beating Avatar a film thought by many to win. Avatar was extremely weak in the main catigories. Other notable winners Jeff Bridges for best actor in his perfomance in Crazy Heart. The most suprising winner to me is Sandra Bullock for best actress in her performance in Blind Side. She beat out Meryl Strep the queen of the Academy Awards.

Supporting actor went to Christoph Waltz in Inglorious Bastards and supporting actress went to Mo’Nique in Precious.

This Academy Awards brought numerous suprises throwing me threw a loop in almost all of the top categories. However the night goes to the The Hurt Locker for defying the odds and setting new traditions

To hear about other awards go to: http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/movieawards/oscars/2010-03-07-oscars-news_N.htm