• The annual Cheer Bingo Night will be held this Friday night on Sept. 21 from 6:00 p.m-9:30 p.m. at the CHS Commons.

Song of the Week: “Tears (feat. Caroline Polachek)” – Charli XCX

Anthony Cesario, Co-Student Life Editor

Ever since her EP Vroom Vroom, released in 2016, Charli XCX has proven herself to be a pioneer of the future of pop music. Charli XCX’s unique embrace of PC Music—a record label known for its exaggerated and bizarre style of pop music—is taken to new heights on Pop 2, her second mixtape and most experimental yet.

“Tears”, featuring Caroline Polachek, is a captivating example of this musical style. Immediately, the listener is greeted by screeching synths joined by the distorted voice of Polachek and, later, Charli XCX. These increasingly dramatic vocal and instrumental effects enhance the emotion of “Tears”; starting in the second chorus, for example, haunting screams rise and fall in the background, making the song all the more heartbreaking. By the last 30 seconds, both singers’ voices have become so heavily autotuned their words are nearly indecipherable, but the emotion shines clearly through.

Pop 2 was released on Dec. 15. “Tears” is the fourth song on the mixtape.

About the Writer
Anthony Cesario, Entertainment Editor
Anthony Cesario is a junior and second-year staff writer for The Sidekick, currently serving as Entertainment Editor. When he isn’t keeping up to date with all things music related, he enjoys taking walks outside and reading. You can contact Anthony at @anthonycesario_ or [email protected]
2 Comments

2 Responses to “Song of the Week: “Tears (feat. Caroline Polachek)” – Charli XCX”

1. Pramika Kadari on April 16th, 2018 3:30 pm

I came on CSM just to read your two paragraph story. Totally worth it. Great story.

2. Anthony Cesario on April 30th, 2018 12:18 pm

Thank you! I’m glad you liked it.