New trailer makes big promises for “New Moon”

By Ashleigh Heaton

Entertainment Editor      

At this year’s MTV movie awards, Summit Entertainment kept Twilighters on the edge of their seats when they aired the first teaser trailer for the next installment in the Twilight saga, “New Moon”. This past Sunday at the VMA’s, MTV couldn’t resist but to milk the franchise for the massive amounts of publicity by presenting a delicious new full-length theatrical trailer.

Cue the hoards of screaming fangirls.

And with good reason: contrary to the previous Catherine-Hardwicke-helmed acid trip known as “Twilight”, “New Moon” looks…well, it actually looks like it will be worth coughing up eight bucks at the theater. My only problem with the trailer is the fact that it gives away the entire book to those who haven’t read the book yet (so a word of caution: don’t watch the video if you don’t want to be spoiled!) But based on the trailer itself, I can tell you the key reasons why “New Moon” will be a bigger success than it’s predeccesor.

A bigger, badder budget

Did you see those special effects? How Edward (Robert Pattinson) was magically there and then not, or how the werewolves look extremely real for CGI? And did you notice that they actually used make-up and colored contacts to make the vampires look…vampirey? This is, of course, all because of the inflated budget — at least twice the size of “Twilight”‘s finances. Just think of it as a contribution to the economic depression.

A genuiely awesome director

Chris Weitz, who directs “New Moon”, is on a role. He knows what he’s doing — goodbye, shakey camera angles! Farewell, awkward close-ups! — and does it right. Not only does he bring with him Academy Award winning special effects skills (for 2007’s “The Golden Compass”), but, as several of the cast has commented in recent interviews…organization. According to actress Ashley Greene (who plays Alice), Weitz has a much more calm vibe than Hardwicke and is able to pull outstanding performances from his actors. Such is to be expected when you’ve worked with Nicole Kidman.

Up a notch in starpower

You can’t mention “New Moon” without acknowledging the presence of Dakota Fanning as the menacing Volturi guard Jane — a performance that was, at first, rejected. When the casting decision was announced, the fanbase was in an uproar about Sally from Bo Welch’s “The Cat in the Hat” playing one of the most evil characters in the entire series.  But this new trailer proves it once and for all: Fanning is bad. And it is so good.

(And, though neither actor is new to the franchise, the sight of Robert Pattinson and Taylor Launter shirtless within two mintues of each other certainly doesn’t hurt the movie’s chances with the female demographic.)

So, what do you think? How will this next installment stack up to the original? Thought Kristen Stewart’s yelling scenes were a bit much? Can’t wait for November 20 — or can?

11