A new generation of artists: CHS students participate in VASE competition, volunteering opportunities

Anthony Cesario

Coppell High School sophomore Anjali Satpathy stands with her original artwork, entitled “To the Bone”, which she entered in the Visual Arts Scholastic Event (VASE) competition on Feb. 24. Satpathy is also one of several CHS students volunteering at the Junior VASE event on Saturday at Coppell Middle School North.

Anthony Cesario, Co-Student Life Editor

Student masterpieces, from digital art to pencil drawings, hang in a miniature art gallery in E hall (art hallway) at Coppell High School. There, CHS art students display their artwork and artistic abilities for everyone to see.

Beyond a schoolwide level, the Visual Arts Scholastic Event (VASE) competition is an opportunity for these students to showcase their artistic abilities on a regional level. VASE took place at MacArthur High School on Feb. 24.

Photo courtesy Smrithi Venkatraman
Coppell High School sophomore Smrithi Venkatraman’s entry into the 2018 Visual Arts Scholastic Event (VASE) competition is a colored pencil drawing entitled “Ladybug”. According to Venkatraman, the piece represents the innocence of children and her love for Teagan, the baby in the portrait, who is a family friend.

“Participating in VASE has allowed me to become more confident and comfortable with talking about my artwork,” said CHS sophomore Smrithi Venkatraman, who earned a medal for her entry entitled “Ladybug” and will be advancing to state, which is April 27-28.

CHS sophomore Anjali Satpathy entered her artwork entitled “To the Bone” into the VASE competition, for which she also earned a medal; it was created with ink and watercolor. According to Satpathy, “To the Bone” represents how eating disorders affect people, and how they have no control over their own actions.

“Participating in VASE has allowed me to gain experience with interviews and being able to think critically about art in order to explain my own to an effective degree,” Satpathy said.

Several students will also be volunteering at Junior VASE, the version of the competition held for middle school students, at Coppell Middle School North on Saturday. Among the volunteers are Satpathy and CHS sophomore Celeste Wang.

This year, Wang will be volunteering in the qualifying artwork section, and Satpathy will be organizing the non-medaled artworks by teacher.

“I have never volunteered before but I’ve always wanted to,” Wang said. “I love seeing what younger generations are creating and expressing in their artwork. Also, I love helping out with this organization. This year, I was given a chance to actually volunteer, and I immediately signed up.”

Photo courtesy Celeste Wang
Coppell High School sophomore Celeste Wang’s entry into the 2018 Visual Arts Scholastic Event (VASE) competition is a charcoal drawing entitled “Reconnecting the New and Old”, which won a medal and advanced Wang to state VASE, which takes place April 27-28. According to Wang, the piece represents how technology does not have to be a hindrance to life and can connect those around the world and bring happiness to those who have never had the opportunity to connect like this before.

For some students, showcasing their art and competing in VASE is only part of the reward of participating.

“VASE was an amazing opportunity to meet new people and talk about our love for art,” Wang said. “I got to make many friends and share the happiness with those that appreciate my artwork.”

Follow @anthony_SK2017