On the Spot: CHS students prepare for Heritage Night

Coppell High School students are preparing for Heritage Night, which will take place on Friday in the CHS commons. Heritage Night is an annual event during which students show off various cultural performances.

Pramika Kadari

Pramika Kadari

Pramika Kadari

Pramika Kadari, Staff Writer

On Friday, Coppell High School’s diversity will shine as students show off various cultural performances on stage for Heritage Night.

CHS junior Sahana Ramaswamy, who is on the planning crew, is performing a Bollywood dance with three of her friends. Students auditioned Feb. 23.                                                                                                                               

“[I decided to participate because] Heritage Night is a big part of CHS culture, and a bunch of my friends do it every single year,” Ramasamy said.

Ramasamy’s love for Bollywood dance has grown from her interest in Indian classical dance, which she has done for 13 years. Her group began practice the week before spring break, and has been working hard since.

The performance is not the only aspect participants have to develop, as editing music and selecting costumes goes into advance preparation as well.

“We coordinated costumes in our group,” Ramasamy said. “Most groups are trying to look the same, and dress up for what they’re trying to portray.”

A full list of the Heritage Night’s performances can be found on the event’s Facebook page.