CHS speaks: Students, staff move to a traditional block schedule

Next+year%2C+Coppell+High+School+is+moving+from+the+current+modified+block+schedule+to+a+traditional+block+schedule.+Lunch+periods+will+look+different+and+skinny+periods+will+be+removed+resulting+in+a+variety+of+thoughts+from+students+and+staff.+

Wren Lee, Varsha Kanneganti

Next year, Coppell High School is moving from the current modified block schedule to a traditional block schedule. Lunch periods will look different and skinny periods will be removed resulting in a variety of thoughts from students and staff.

Fiona Koshy, Editorial Page Editor

This school year, Coppell High School made the transition from a seven period daily schedule to a modified block schedule. This current schedule consists of two skinny periods, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, daily. The middle three classes are block periods that alternate with another three classes every other day, distinguishing school days as A and B days.

With the modified block schedule came the addition of an eighth class period to student’s schedules.

CHS recently released its proposed bell schedule for the 2018-19 school year.* The schedule still consists of eight class periods, however there will now be only four alternating classes each day, eliminating skinny periods. There will be only one, hour long lunch period. As of now, the plan is to split the lunch period into two 30 minutes blocks that will rotate: one block will consist of the usual lunch period and during the other, students will get a chance to attend club meetings or tutoring. The Coppell High School Ninth Grade Campus will be following the same schedule.

With schedule modifications come a mixture of opinions from students and staff alike.

Junior Sandhya Srinivasa 

“I like having eighth off this year because I can go home early every single day, but next year, I’ll have to take more release periods to get part of every day off. Next year will be better, though, because this year, teachers had to make huge adjustments to accommodate both first and eighth skinny periods everyday and block periods every other day. It was confusing and very difficult to organize.

“Lunch will be an hour long next year, double the length of what I’m used to; I’m looking forward to that, especially because the school will be less crowded with the new freshman center.”     

Freshman Rahul Rajamani 

“I like next year’s block schedule a little better than this year’s. It gives me more time to complete my work. I’m kind of mixed about not having skinny periods everyday but it’s dependent on my schedule; I could have potentially had classes that I really like everyday, but not anymore.

“Teachers have done a good job splitting up work with blocks and skinny periods, so I’m glad we’re continuing that. Overall, I like the [new traditional] block schedule more because we have more time to be independent by ourselves and get work done.”

Sophomore Connor Neeley 

“Next year, I’m taking band and swim so without skinny periods, my schedule is going to mess up because it removes a lot of the time that I need for my classes since those electives will take up block periods. I need the time to sign up for more AP classes, but I’m restricted to only having three because of the workload. I won’t have an off period either, so it will be straight from school to band to swim. I like the aspect of having different classes everyday, just not eliminating skinny periods.

“Lunch is going to be 60 minutes, but how [is] the school going to fit everyone in the lunchroom? It’s going to be hectic.”

AP AB Calculus and Precalculus teacher Suzanne Black 

“I am very glad we are getting rid of the skinny periods and are going to a traditional, A/B block. I’ve taught on everything: seven periods a day, trimester, we did an A/B block, then we went back to the seven periods a day, now this modified block and next year back to a traditional A/B block. I like having seven, shorter periods that meet everyday the best; it’s my favorite. I think it’s better for kids that struggle in math.

“I think the passing periods are going to be just fine next year. I like it better [because] they [will be] shorter. 12 minutes is too much time for students to get in trouble. I’ve been here 22 years and I’m ready for something different that’s positive.”

AP Human Geography teacher Ryan Simpson (moving to CHS9)

“The normal block schedule is going to help kids prepare for college because that’s the way it’s going to be. It’s going to help with time management in that every class is going to span the same amount of time. It’s also going to help teachers with planning and making their schedules equitable for all their students. I won’t have to find extra things for skinny periods to do. Most teachers are really excited about it.

“You can get a lot more done in a block schedule because it takes time to get the class started and packed away as well, so it’s actually a lot easier for block schedule.

“A longer lunch period is going to be great for teachers who have to inhale food through the air. It’s going to be more beneficial for students because a lot of that before and after school tutoring can be done within the longer lunch period as well, freeing teachers up for more planning time before and after school.”

*This is the proposed schedule. Specifics are subject to change.

Follow Fiona @fionakoshy10