Cowboys ram Berkner out of arena in district action

Coppell+High+School+junior+Tariq+Aman+recovers+the+ball+from+defense+and+dribbles+it+down+court+during+Friday+nights+game+in+the+arena.+The+Cowboys+won+with+a+score+of+81-59+against+the+Berkner+Rams.+

Laura Amador Toro

Coppell High School junior Tariq Aman recovers the ball from defense and dribbles it down court during Friday nights game in the arena. The Cowboys won with a score of 81-59 against the Berkner Rams.

Nishant Medicharla, Staff Writer

On Friday night, the Coppell boys basketball team took on the Berkner Rams at the CHS Arena, securing a 81-59 victory.

The Cowboys (17-7) set the standard with a 26-15 lead in the first quarter.

What lead to the early lead were three three-pointers by junior guard Tariq Aman and sophomore forward Quevian Adger.

Although, there was some difficulty with keeping the ball during the second and third quarter, as the Rams put their hand in, and stole the ball from junior guard Tariq Aman.

For a short period of time, the amount of points they were getting had slowed down. The offensive side had trouble getting the ball in the hoop, as senior guard Parker Rodman and sophomore forward Quevian Adger missed a couple of free throws and layups.

But this did not discourage the Cowboys to seize every opportunity they had. The Cowboys started scoring with layups and three-pointers, to get more points in a shorter amount of time.

With the Cowboys hitting its shots, they were able to build the lead with strong defensive plays.

By the end of the third quarter, the Cowboys led 67-47.

Coppell coach Kit Pehl was surprised about how balanced the team was with shooting the ball.

“I really thought the team was scrappy heading into this game, but the players balanced it out, shooting whenever they could,” Pehl said.

Pehl was satisfied with the players performance throughout the course of the game.

The Cowboys will play again on Tuesday ct 7:30 p.m. against the Dallas Skyline Raiders in Coppell.

Coppell High School sophomore forward Quevian Adger goes in for junior guard Carter Kryzak during the second half of Friday nights game in the arena. The Cowboys won with a score of 81-59 against the Berkner Rams. 

Follow Nishant @Nishantnm1