Uncharted waters: Cowgirls looking to extend longest playoff run since 2012

Coppell High School seniors Amanda Colon, Riley Ross and junior Amarachi Osuji play defense  against Lebanon Trail High School  Monday night at Frisco Lebanon Trail’s gymnasium. The Cowgirls defeated the Lady Rangers in  three sets 25-8, 25-15, 25-20 to advance to the area round of the 6A state playoffs.

Varsha Kanneganti

Varsha Kanneganti

Reid Valentine, Staff Writer

For the first time since 2012, the Coppell volleyball squad will be playing in the regional quarterfinals of the Class 6A state volleyball playoffs in a match against The Woodlands College Park.

The Cowgirls (38-3) will face off with College Park (26-8) tonight at 6:30 at Navarro College’s Wolens Student Event Center in Corsicana.

In a five set brawl, the Cowgirls took down the No. 3 state ranked Conroe Oak Ridge volleyball team, 15-25, 25-15, 25-23, 20-25, 16-14. Coming off of that win, Coppell is primed for a deep postseason run.

“After playing and beating such a strong and competitive team,” senior libero Sam Silver said. “We saw our true potential and just how hard we can fight. We beat a team that made it to the state tournament last year, we are riding a high right now that will hopefully carry us through tonight.”

The team has put an emphasis on focus for tonight’s matchup.

“[Coach Julie Green] has made a point to keep the practices very focussed,” senior defensive specialist Ava Racz said. “Our practices have consisted of more specific drills so that we could have the best foundation possible going into tonight.”

The Cowgirls will be making a point tonight to limit the College Park’s runs.

“We really need to be staying consistent when we sight out the first ball,” sophomore defensive specialist Maci Watrous said. “After the other team wins a point we are going to have to work hard to get the ball back as quick as possible.”

Coppell is not looking to play a close match tonight in Corsicana.

“The goal tonight is to blow this team out of the water,” junior outside hitter Pierce Woodall said. “So that when we move onto the following rounds that we are playing our best and feeling really good as a team.”

About the Writer
Reid Valentine, Sports Copy Editor

Reid Valentine is a third-year staffer on The Sidekick who is mainly a sports writer with a passion for feature stories. His dream since being a child has been to anchor SportsCenter on ESPN, and he knows journalism is his ticket there. Reid has many hobbies that include baseball and hanging with friends.

Twitter: @reidv9