Cowboys tame Mustangs in win at Richardson

Coppell junior safety Jonathan McGill runs the ball through the JJ Pearce defense to later score a touchdown. The Coppell Cowboys played against JJ Pearce Mustangs at the Eagle-Mustangs Stadium in Richardson with the Cowboys winning the score of 28-21.

Bren Flechtner

Bren Flechtner

Bren Flechtner

Nicholas Pranske, Staff Writer

RICHARDSON – The Coppell Cowboys football team beat the J.J. Pearce Mustangs last Friday night at the Eagle-Mustang Stadium in Richardson, 28-21, gaining their second district win of the season.

Throughout the game, the Cowboys’ (4-1 overall, 2-0 in district 9-6A) play was on-and-off, but they pulled it together late in the second half. The offense utilized a mixture of rushing and passing, but the run-game worked particularly well. Coppell junior running back Ryan Hirt ran for a total of 160 yards, which in the end, pushed the Cowboys ahead of the Mustangs (2-3 overall, 1-1 in district).

“We were successful running the ball [on Friday] so we kept doing it,”Coppell coach Mike DeWitt said.

In the fourth quarter, after throwing a long reception under double coverage, J.J. Pearce brought the ball down to the 11-yard line with less than three minutes left in the game. Shortly after, the Mustangs scored to close the gap to 28-21.

On the kickoff, Pearce looked to get the ball back as it attempted an onside kick. But, the Cowboys were able to secure the victory when they successfully recovered the kick.

However, previous to their win, the Cowboys fumbled the ball four times, three of which were recovered by the Mustangs.

Subsequent to recovering each of these fumbles, J.J. Pearce scored two out of the three times they recovered a loose ball. By capitalizing upon these, the Mustangs were able to give the Cowboys a run for their money.

Coppell Cowboys football players sing the Alma Mater after playing at the Eagle-Mustangs Stadium against JJ Pearce. The Coppell Cowboys defeated JJ Pearce 28-21. Photo by Bren Flechtner

But due to a late touchdown by Ryan Hirt, followed by a two-point conversion from senior quarterback Brady McBride to junior receiver Blake Jackson, the Cowboys held off the Mustangs.

The Cowboys will play their next game, also in-district, against the Lake Highlands Wildcats at Buddy Echols Field on Friday at 7:30 p.m.

Nicholas Pranske, Executive Sports Editor

Nicholas is a junior and is currently in his second year on staff. He enjoys writing sports coverage and the occasional column. You can often see him on...

Bren Flechtner, Photography Editor

Bren Flechtner is a senior and third year staffer on The Sidekick. In her free time, she enjoys sewing, taking photos and spending time with friends...