Eagles rise above

Cowboys get their first taste of defeat against Allen

Karis Thomas

The Coppell Cowboys march their way out onto the field Friday night against the Allen Eagles. The Cowboys lost 35-23 to the state-ranked team.

Nicholas Pranske, Staff Writer

ALLEN – After fighting all four quarters with the mighty state-ranked Allen Eagles, the Coppell Cowboys fell short, 35-23, on Friday night at Eagle Stadium.

In the highly anticipated game, senior quarterback Brady McBride, as well as several other supporting offensive players, were set to shine. But, despite their impressive efforts, the Cowboys (2-1) could not come up with the result that they were looking for.

Although the Cowboys lost, they still put up a fight against a very distinguished team, as quarterback McBride explains.

“We played with them all four quarters… which really isn’t a surprise to anyone. We can play with any team in the state or nation and stand a chance,” McBride said.

The fourth quarter did not seem to be in favor of the Cowboys, starting with an interception by Allen. Luck seemed to change for the Cowboys when junior Caden Davis kicked another field goal, but the Eagles scored soon thereafter. Allen ran the ball in for the final touchdown of the game with 2 minutes left, finalizing the score to 35-23.

Just 5 minutes into the game, Coppell started off the night by forcing the Eagles to punt and then kicking a field goal by Davis. But in a quick turnaround of about 19 seconds, Allen scores on a long run. The first quarter ended 7-3 in favor of Allen.

The second quarter started similarly to the first; with Coppell scoring. This time, it was a 28-yard reception to senior receiver Gabe Lemons to give the Cowboys a 10-7 lead. Little did they know that this would be the last Coppell lead. The pattern of Allen (3-0) quickly scoring after the Cowboys held, as the Eagles then hurled a pass for a touchdown, give the Eagles a 14-10 lead.

The Cowboys saw their chance after blocking a field goal attempt by Allen. The block was then returned for more than 60 yards by Cowboys’ Jonathan McGill. This gave the Cowboys thoughts of possible victory against the Eagles. But, after a such a big play, the Cowboys were forced to settle for a field goal by Davis, 14-13 Allen.

Allen kept the pattern, scoring not even 30 seconds later to lengthen the gap to 21-13 Allen. The first half ended with a narrowly missed field goal by Davis.

Coppell High School junior wide receiver Blake Jackson looks to run the ball after a pass from senior quarterback Brady McBride on Friday night during the game against Allen Eagles at Allen Stadium. The Coppell Cowboys fell short to the Allen Eagles 35-23.

The Cowboys start off the second half, making their way down the field using primarily short throws and runs. The risk of an interception was cut down to a minimum by using this strategy. Coppell got into scoring position due to a defensive pass interference by Allen, putting Coppell on the 5-yard line. The Cowboys ran it in on a quarterback sneak by McBride. But, the PAT was overturned after Coppell player was charged with unsportsmanlike conduct. The score following was 21-20 in favor of Allen.

The third quarter ended with Allen striking back with a touchdown to increase its lead to 28-20. The fourth quarter soon led Coppell to its loss by an interception and a touchdown from the Allen Eagles.

Next week, Coppell returns to Buddy Echols Field on Sept. 29 as it hosts Dallas Jesuit in the District 9-6A opener.