Spanish Club to be bigger, better this school year

Beyond just meetings and fiestas, Coppell High School’s Spanish Club has planned many new, great things for its third year. A member myself, projects, fundraisers, “adoptions” and a banquet are some of the things we are looking forward to.

The first meeting revealed exciting things for the 30-plus attendees like the opportunity to hear guest speakers as well as run for office.

Spanish club offers 9 positions, two of which will be exclusive to New Tech students, an idea that will not only keep more members active but also help expand the club to reach more students. In addition, one chairman will be chosen by the president, vice presidents, sponsor and co-sponsors.

There was an overwhelming turn out of members who signed the roster to run; most positions proved themselves with a trailing list of names to be elected by fellow members after giving a required speech. The only page left untouched was that written “President” at the top, whom members reserved as a re-election of current President, Marco Arce, senior.

With a goal of two fundraisers, one each semester, the club hopes to support poor children of South America with clothing, food, education and medicine. Fundraisers and dues will also help to fund events like the Dia de Los Muertos Fiesta in November and a holiday party in December.

The club has let members know that they are not expected to know the Spanish language, or learn it from the club within a year.

“We want to show them the advantages and the fun there is from knowing a second language,” said Arce.

The reward of being active with a foreign language will certainly be demonstrated through Spanish Club. Come to the next meeting, September 17th in the lecture hall, to vote for your 2009-2010 Spanish Club officers.

1