Cowgirls fall to state’s No. 4 team in three sets

Rylee Ferguson

Coppell High School junior Amarachi Osuji and freshman Madison Gilliland jump to make a block during Friday night’s game in the Arena. The Cowgirls played against the Allen Eagles and ended the match losing straight sets (27-29, 12-25, 20-25) against the Lady Eagles.

Lili Lomas, Executive Digital Content Editor, Sports Editor

The Coppell High School Arena was filled with the CHS student section chants Friday night which provided support for the Cowgirls as they took on the state’s No. 4 ranked team.

The Coppell Cowgirls varsity volleyball team fell short to the Lady Eagles losing straight sets (29-27, 25-12, 25-20).

With senior Sam Silver out with a concussion, the team adapted to a change of lineup. Seniors Riley Ross and Breanne Chausse stepped up to make strong blocks for the team.

“What we did well as a team is we kind of stepped it up, especially when one of our players was out,” Ross said. “The defense did pretty well, I think the block was there as well but we can also work on picking up those tips or whatever the other team throws at us and just be ready for another game.”

At the beginning of the match, the Cowgirls gave away several points allowing Allen to lead most of the first set. However, Coppell quickly caught up to the Lady Eagles tying the score at 24. The next few minutes were a battle between the last points with Allen finally beating the Cowgirls ending the set 29-27.

The second set began in the Cowgirls’ favor with an out of bounds serve by Allen giving the home team the first point. Afterwards, Coppell had a slow game losing points to several out of bounds plays themselves. They were unable to catch up to Allen, losing another set to the Lady Eagles, 25-22. Throughout the third set, Coppell remained within around two points, but were unable to bring up a win, losing 25-20.

With two weeks until district, CHS varsity volleyball coach Julie Green sees room for improvement for the Cowgirls.

“We’ve got work to do,” Green said. “Allen is a good team. They’re not that much better than us but we didn’t take a game off them so I’m a little disappointed that we didn’t compete better at the end and so that’s a challenge for us to get to work tomorrow morning.”