• PSAT registration for 9th-11th grade ends Sept. 20

• Coppell Varsity Football will play Jesuit at home on Sept. 29

Associated Press mainstreams delusion

Emma Cummins, Executive Editorial Page Editor

The week before last, Associated Press sent out some revised guidelines on how to refer to sex and gender.

They are as follows:

“Not all people fall under one of two categories for sex or gender, according to leading medical organizations, so avoid references to both, either or opposite sexes or genders as a way to encompass all people. When needed for clarity or in certain stories about scientific studies, alternatives include men and women, boys and girls, males and females.

“[I]n most cases, a plural pronoun should agree in number with the antecedent …. when alternative wording is overly awkward and clumsy” it may be permissible to use they, them, or their to refer to an individual. “However, rewording usually is possible and always is preferable” because “[c]larity is a top priority” in news reporting and “gender-neutral use of a singular they is unfamiliar to many readers.”

So to put it shortly, journalists (myself included) will now be allowed to call men as men and women as women, when referring to anything scientific but in other instances we will be deluding ourselves. We will also be referring to singular individuals as “they, them or their” if the individual so wishes it.

If it is not already obvious, this move marks another attempt by previously upstanding organizations to toe the line and join the “tolerant side” of our changing culture. This obtuse virtue-signaling by such an all-encompassing organization is quite unsettling.

AP has decided to be more “inclusive” by ignoring biology and gender roles that have created the foundations for a civilized society. The idea that referring to one set of people as women and one set as men is now not “progressive” enough truly exposes the problems that beset a modern society. Given the comfort of being able to ignore our basic biology and human functions, we are now moving to a place in which basic, self-evident truths are now up for discussion.

And by all means, we can have this discussion. If these truths must be reiterated, then so be it. But this discussion has barely begun and is far from being settled. The idea of sex and gender being two separate things is not a plausible distinction needing to be made since both have been the same thing in our healthy, functioning society.

One can go into the science of sex and gender and have a real debate. Studies show that infants prefer toys typed to their gender and that socialization tends to be a reinforcing influence, not an initial one. Thus giving evidence to the idea that one’s genitals can, in fact, be exactly the same as their gender and usually are.

However, Associated Press and many other “leading organizations” have jumped on the bandwagon to avoid controversy by cowing to the left’s revolutionary ideas on gender and sex.

Even if there is a distinction between gender and sex, the only one that society and a national organization of journalists (who are presumably committed to reporting on cold, hard facts), should care about is what a person biologically is, based on their genitalia at birth. If journalists start bending terms and attempting to keep everyone happy, we can say goodbye to objective reporting.

Once journalists and lawmakers get into the business of catering to what a person “feels” like, despite genitalia that would prove the opposite, you mainstream delusion.

The Sidekick executive editorial page editor Emma Cummins explains why the distinction between sex and gender has not been made in the past and why a change in that pattern may lead to less objectivity in journalism. Cartoon by Thomas Rousseau.