New Coppell middle school groundbreaking to signal beginning of construction

Photo courtesy of Coppell Bond Committee

Current blueprints for the new Coppell middle school detail a spacious two-story facility across a 30 acre land property, complete with a tennis court, football field and track. Construction will begin shortly after the groundbreaking ceremony on Thursday, Nov. 17.

12/2/16 UPDATE: The groundbreaking ceremony has been cancelled at the moment. A rescheduled date has not yet been decided.

11/18/16 UPDATE: Due to unforeseen circumstances, the groundbreaking ceremony has been rescheduled to Monday, Nov. 28,  from 10 to 11 a.m.

The new look of Coppell ISD will take one step closer to becoming a reality when the district breaks ground on the new campus for Coppell Middle School West on Thursday at 10 a.m. at 2751 Ranch Trail in Irving.

In an effort to manage overcrowding at Coppell High School, currently with over 3,000 students, one of the most significant changes the upcoming bond will bring about is the construction of a new freshman center, CHS 9.

CHS 9 will be located at the current CMS West campus, a decision that was finalized this past May after renovation discussions throughout the 2015-16 school year.

In place of CMS West, a new middle school is in currently in the works of being built. On Oct. 24, the Board of Trustees approved the Guaranteed Maximum Price contract with Northstar Builders to begin site work and grading on the new middle school land. Construction is set to officially begin with the groundbreaking ceremony Thursday.

The Bond Oversight Committee, tasked with ensuring the project work remains faithful to the priorities and plans of the initial 2016 bond package, has stated that since the authorization of the initial bond sale of $91.4 million, “there have been several campus renovation projects approved with work either underway or already completed.”

With regard to the new middle school specifically, “dirt work is scheduled to begin in the coming weeks.”

More information pertaining to the bond package can be viewed on the CISD website.