My mom’s finest pumpkin bread for the fall
You know fall has begun when you see pumpkin flavored food and beverages appear everywhere you turn. Whether it is in lattes, cookies or pies, pumpkin is a hallmark flavor of the fall season.
One of my favorite ways to kick off the fall time is with this pumpkin bread. This tried and true recipe was introduced to me through my mom, who bakes this bread throughout the fall season.
Ever since I was a little kid, I would watch my mom stir the ingredients, pour the batter, and bake these loaves to perfection, and I’ve always wondered how she does it. To my surprise, it’s actually quite easy.
One of my favorite things about baking this pumpkin bread is the fall time aromas of cinnamon, cloves, vanilla and, of course, pumpkin that come with it. This recipe isn’t limited to just the fall time, either. Swap out the pumpkin for bananas, carrots, chocolate or nuts and you’ve got yourself a whole new flavor of the same familiar bread.
With just a few simple ingredients, this recipe is the perfect way to usher in the fall season.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Yields: 4 loaves
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup oil or softened butter
2 teaspoon vanilla
2 ¼ cup flour
2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ginger juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease bottoms of 4 loaf pans, 8 ½ x 4 ½ x 2 ½ in with oil/butter
- Stir together pumpkin, sugars, oil/butter, vanilla and eggs in a large bowl
- Stir in remaining ingredients
- Pour mixture into pans
- Bake 45-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Cool 10 minutes
- Loosen sides of loaves from pans: remove from pans and place top side up on a wire rack. Cool completely before slicing. Wrap tightly and store at room temperature up to 4 days, or refrigerate up to 10 days
Follow Fiona on Twitter @fionakoshy10