A new appreciation for Fun

By Natalie Hill, center spread editor

If you know anything about me, if you’ve ever ridden in a car with me, you know I have one solitary obsession. For the past 7 years or so, give or take a few, I’ve memorized every word, every harmony, every drumbeat to The Format. Arizona natives Nate Ruess and Sam Means created their indie rock band in 2001 to break away from the cookie-cutter “format” of the current musicians. With 1960’s and 70’s pop influences, The Format, though still a seemingly unknown band, took rock music as I knew it by storm.

On February 4, 2008, however, life as I knew it ended, what I thought to be, forever. The Format had broken up. Any explanation that was given to the world was this salutary statement from Nate Ruess:

“We have just put out word that we will not be making a new Format album. Please understand this was a tough decision and we’re both upset about it. While we accept there will be false speculation as to why, understand that Sam and I remain extremely close and in fact are still passing the twin peaks box set back and forth in an attempt to figure out who REALLY killed laura palmer.”

“We also want to thank everyone with and within the Format, particularly Mike, Don, and Marko, whom without, none of this would have ever even been fully realized. We both suggest you support their musical talents and whatever they decide to do. And lastly we want to thank the fans who made this the best 5 years of our lives.”

For nearly two years now, along with mourning the loss of my beloved Format, I listened and relistened to their first release “Interventions and Lullabies” and “Dog Problems”. I’ve slowly come to accept that all good things must come to an end. I will forever regret not attending a concert when I had the chance, merely assuming that I would always have the opportunity.

It wasn’t until the holiday break that I had been revitalized. When one door closes, a window opens. Ruess, vocalist of The Format, has united with Jack Antonoff, lead of Steel Train, and Andrew Dost, ex-Anathallo to form a new band called Fun.

Though Fun lacks the chemistry that The Format and I once had, it’s completely refreshing. Most songs upbeat and entertaining, Ruess’ voice carries The Format’s charm and adds flair to his new band. I am newly obsessed with Fun, but The Format still holds a big part of my heart.

Fun will be touring with Jack’s Mannequin this season, opening at The House of Blues on February 17.