Moe named Sidekick Sports’ female athlete of the year

Kathryn Rudd, Staff Writer

For the past four years, Coppell High School senior Ko’a Moe has proved her dominating skills and character on the varsity girls wrestling team. As the only senior in the 2015-2016 season and team captain two years in a row, her dedication and performance named her the Sidekick Sports’ Female Athlete of the year.

With a team with only two upperclassmen, Moe’s success this year is clearly shown through her influence on her teammates to strive for her level of performance and character.

As an upperclassmen and captain I just tried my best to include the whole team in all that we did,” Moe said. “[It] that wasn’t hard because my team is so close to begin with. I wanted my team to know that I would be supportive of them, but also to understand that I’m there to push them and to help them grow as not only a wrestler, but a person too. Wrestling itself has taught me so much, that I really couldn’t get from other places.”

Her performance was consistent throughout the entire season, taking the title district champion, region champion, placing at Centex and ending the year with an astounding record 36-4.

Watching her dedication to the team and the sport grow throughout Moe’s high school career, Coppell wrestling head coach Chip Lowery understands the dedication she has to fill the position as a leader.

“She filled the role as captain in the most excellent way,” Lowery said. “She led the team to place second in region and to finish with the most number of pins and wins. The last two years she’s prepared our younger players to do. She’s so conscientious, hard-working and isn’t afraid to go the hard way to get stuff done.”

Congratulations to Ko’a Moe on being named The Sidekick’s Female Athlete of the Year.