Mediterranean culture in Coppell

Mediterranean pallette diversifies Coppell

Mediterranean culture in Coppell

Briana Thomas, Staff Writer

Located in the center of the busy Dallas-Fort Worth area, Coppell is a melting pot that combines global flavors from the east, west and everywhere in between. The often unexplored melding of cultures in the city is bringing shopkeepers and customers (old and new) to experience the more culturally charged food scene of Coppell.

The individual ingredients put into Mediterranean dishes are extremely fresh, creating a unique taste appealing to all types of eaters.

“The first time I had Mediterranean food was during an MSA banquet at Andalous Mediterranean Grill. I was blown away by the freshness and diversity of the food itself, factors that definitely secured the restaurant as one of my all time favorites in the DFW area,” Coppell High School senior Martha Vertti said.

From Zoës Kitchen to Andalous Mediterranean Grill, Coppell is located near a variety of traditional Mediterranean cuisines to choose from. Known for their all fresh ingredients, the restaurants offer choices appealing to both vegetarians and nonvegetarians.

“My favorite dish is definitely the Kobida Kebob, with potatoes for sides. They have really quick service so I’ll usually go after school,” Coppell High School junior Katie Bennett said.

The Mediterranean palette is based on the traditional foods of the countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea. When you visualize Mediterranean food, you may think of: hummus, pita and not much more. However, on the contrary, it is extremely diverse. A wide variety of ingredients and spices travelling from European, North African and Middle Eastern countries all combine to create a unique appeal, now very popular in the Southwest.

Externally, the restaurants may look ordinary. But behind the kitchen, the chefs and intoxicating aromas of food – tell the stories of many different regions. They tell the story of those who have walked the streets of Sicily, or explored the hidden caves of Greece.

“[Zoës Kitchen] healthy, but colorful. I hadn’t really thought about Mediterranean culture much before, but the food really gives it an unique identity,” junior Jibi Bijumon said.

There is much to explore within our own community, Coppell. Don’t be afraid to venture into unchartered territories if it means along the way you will encounter everything from a little bit of Greece, to a taste of the ancient past.

If you are interested in embarking on your delicious yet multicultural journey, a few other reasonably priced Mediterranean cuisines (located in Coppell or within a short distance) can be found below:

Kebabs To Go – A hidden yet charming, quick stop for a healthy meal. Known particularly for their kebabs, but fresh food all throughout the menu!

10025 N. MacArthur Blvd. in Irving, 75063

Writer’s choice: Beef and lamb kebab with extra white sauce, with brown rice and potatoes.

Villa Mediterranean Grill – Italian and Iranian all in one mix. Fast service and

great for a sit down meal!

1837 W. Frankford Road #100 in Carrollton, 75007

Writer’s choice: Start off with some hummus and pita bread, follow with a Veggie kabob with rice and dill. Repeat.

Andalous Mediterranean Grill – Fresh. Nourishing. Variety. Has a great “serve yourself atmosphere”, perfect for parties or families.

6450 N. MacArthur Blvd. in Irving, 75039

Writer’s choice: Free Baklava at check in. Must tries: Spicy hummus, tabouli, beet salad, lentil soup, and lamb kebobs. All made to order.

Afrah Restaurant – Don’t be fooled by the quiet atmosphere. With delightful Baklava and puffy pita, the perfect relaxed restaurant for all your hummus craving needs.

3351 Regent Blvd. #140 in Irving, 75063

Writer’s choice: Fresh fattoush and Baba Ghannouj. Don’t ask, just order.

Zoës Kitchen – For fast Greek and great service, head to Zoës Kitchen. Convenient for an after school snack, or lunch.

120 S. Denton Tap Road #490 in Coppell, 75019

Writer’s choice: Greek side salad, served with pilaf. No onion.