Winning streak continues in Lady Trojan blowout

Coppell+High+School+junior+catcher+Madi+Traver+hits+the+ball+in+the+fourth+inning.+The+Cowgirls+played+the+Trinity+High+School+Lady+Trojans+at+the+Coppell+ISD+Baseball%2FSoftball+Complex+at+Coppell+Middle+School+West+and+won+the+game+10-0.++

Kelly Monoghan

Coppell High School junior catcher Madi Traver hits the ball in the fourth inning. The Cowgirls played the Trinity High School Lady Trojans at the Coppell ISD Baseball/Softball Complex at Coppell Middle School West and won the game 10-0.

Kathryn Rudd, Staff Writer

The Cowgirls softball team and the Trinity Lady Trojans moved in opposite directions in district standings as Coppell (4-7 overall, District 7-6A 3-3) continued its winning streak on Tuesday night and the Lady Trojans (2-9, 0,4) fell in another loss.

An offensive breakout in the second and fourth innings led to the walk-off win in the fifth, ending the game 10-0 in a mercy rule Cowgirls victory.

The first inning was somewhat of a pitching duel, with no hits or runs on the board throughout the start of the game by the Cowgirls or the Lady Trojans. Freshman pitcher Nora Rodriguez started the game with a strikeout and continued to throw powerful pitches and change ups, continuing into the second inning.

A walk sent sophomore outfielder and pitcher Carolyn Estrada to base as the leadoff hitter in the 2nd. Eager to add momentum to the game, sophomore infielder Claire George hit a long drive to center field, sending the two runners home. Base running was sharp and well executed, as steal attempts propelled base runners forward.

The Cowgirls gained security ending the second inning, leading 4-0.

The Lady Trojans managed to get one hit in the third, but two back to back strikeouts from Rodriguez kept the Cowgirls on a rhythm for them to pull ahead in the blowout. Coppell was careful at bat, allowing walk after walk. A long drive by junior infielder Beth Briscoe let runs add up on the board, ending the third with a 6-0 lead.

“I feel like we were able to time the pitcher better since we already had seen her the previous inning so we knew what pitches to expect, and when one person got a hit to start off the inning it was like a domino effect and boosted the whole team,” Rodriguez said.

Powerful hits to center field by sophomore Logan Kegley and junior catcher Madi Traver was the boost they needed with the bases loaded to bring three more runners home, leading to the walk off win in the fifth inning.

“These girls are really good about patience and timing,” Coppell coach Mike Dyson said. “We waited and we did a really good job waiting for those pitches and the whole team fell into rhythm, it was a good game to watch.”