NFL says goodbye to great star in Warner

By Peter Sblendorio

After 12 years as one of the most prolific passers in the NFL, QB Kurt Warner is calling it a career. 

While much of the attention in the NFL has been focused on whether Brett Farve will return or not next year, the possible retirement of Warner has been overlooked. This should not be a surprise, as Warner was often overlooked among the NFL’s elite.

Warner is third all-time with a 93.7 quarterback passer rating and has won three conference titles, one of which (1999) leading to a Super Bowl victory with the Rams. In addition to that, Warner also tallied two MVP awards and four Pro Bowl selections.

With such an outstanding resume, it’s hard to imagine why Warner was never considered one of the best. He was always a soft-spoken type in a time when charismatic super stars such as Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Favre were the center of the football world.

Despite this, Warner has been extremely important in his time in the NFL. He led two teams out of the gutter, the Rams in the 1990s and the Cardinals in the late 2000s, and brought them to the Super Bowl.

Not only was he able to resurrect these once pitiful franchises, but he also was able to remake himself and thrive in the face of failure. In his early 20s, Warner was working at a grocery store to pay the bills with any thoughts of a football career seemingly behind him.

A decade and a half later, Warner has overcome roadblocks to become a likely Hall of Famer in a few years.

Warner has had a major impact on the NFL and what he has experienced in his career is unique. By retiring today, the NFL must say goodbye to one of its brightest, yet overlooked superstars. 

For more on Warner’s retirement, click here.