Second half playoff comeback falls just short for Cowboys

+After+losing+to+the+DeSoto+Eagles%2C+Coppell+High+School+freshman+and+defensive+back+Jonathan+McGill+hangs+his+head+in+defeat+on+Friday+night+at+Eagle+Stadium.+The+Eagles+claimed+a+victory+over+Coppell+with+a+score+of+35-31%2C+ending+the+Cowboys%E2%80%99+season.+Photo+by+Amanda+Hair.+
After losing to the DeSoto Eagles, Coppell High School freshman and defensive back Jonathan McGill hangs his head in defeat on Friday night at Eagle Stadium. The Eagles claimed a victory over Coppell with a score of 35-31, ending the Cowboys’ season. Photo by Amanda Hair.

By Marcus Krum

Sports Editor

@marcuskrum

In a year in which the Cowboys (6-5, 4-2 District 7-6A) came up just short against several top tier teams in the regular season, the postseason proved to be no different, as Coppell fell 35-31 in a heartbreaking, season-ending loss to DeSoto (6-5, 4-2 District 8-6A)

After the previous three seasons ended with playoff losses to DeSoto, the Cowboys were looking to get on them early. The offense got to a quick start, but their first drive was halted after several penalties, forcing them to kick a 31 yard field goal.

During the first quarter on Friday night’s game, Coppell High School senior and running back Brandon Rice dodges DeSoto players as he goes in for a touchdown. The DeSoto Eagles claimed a victory over Coppell with a final score of 35-31, ending Coppell’s season. Photo by Amanda Hair.

DeSoto took the ensuing kickoff back to the Coppell 14 yard line, but senior defensive back Kyran Jamison picked off a pass in the end zone, giving the Cowboys the ball back on the Eagles 20 yard line.

Coppell again drove down the field with ease, but were forced to 4th and 18 on the 19 yard line, where a fake field goal failed, turning the ball over on downs. The Eagles came back on their next possession, taking the ball right down the field and scoring on a 30 yard touchdown run to go up 7-3 in the second quarter.

In their next drive, the Cowboys took advantage of a personal foul penalty on DeSoto early in the possession, taking the ball 70 yards in nine plays, finished off by a 14 yard run by senior running back Brandon Rice to regain the 10-7 lead for Coppell.

However, DeSoto again came right back and scored again, marching 72 yards on only eight plays. The Cowboys missed a field goal, and the Eagles took advantage, running over the Coppell defense and finishing with a 23 yard touchdown pass into the corner of the end zone on third down, giving the Eagles the 21-10 advantage going into halftime.

DeSoto began the second half with the ball, and continued to barrage the run defense of Coppell, running for 62 yards on their first possession of the half and taking a commanding 28-10 lead. After the Cowboys were forced to punt for the first time in the game, the Coppell defense desperately needed a stop to keep them alive in the game.

On fourth and one at their own 30 yard line, the Eagles made the gutsy call to go for it against the Cowboys defense that had not consistently stopped the run yet in that game. However, this time the DeSoto ball carrier was stuffed at the line, giving the Cowboys the ball with great field position.

Four plays later, Brandon Rice ran for his second touchdown of the game, cutting the Eagles’ lead to 11. The Coppell defense again stepped up, forcing the first punt of the game from DeSoto.

“In the second half, we (the defense) played great,” freshman defensive back TJ McDaniel said. “That’s probably one of the better second halfs we have played this season. We stepped up in the second half, and we ended up getting right back at them.”

Coppell High School sophomore and quarterback Brady McBride runs the ball towards the end zone during the end of the first quarter on Friday night’s game at Eagle Stadium. The DeSoto Eagles defeated Coppell with a final score of 35-31, knocking Coppell out of the playoffs. Photo by Amanda Hair.

The Cowboys offense, lead by sophomore quarterback Brady McBride and Rice, again took a long drive down the field, scoring on a third down pass from McBride to Rice, bringing the score to 28-24 DeSoto going into the fourth quarter.

“Our kids played hard the whole game,” head coach Mike DeWitt said. “I’m proud of that. I appreciate their effort. We made a lot of plays, especially in the second half.”

Again, on the next possession, the Cowboys defense stepped up and making a play, falling on a botched option pitch, giving them the ball with great field position and plenty of time. Rice and junior running back Joe Fex ran for a total of 32 yards down to the one yard line, where McBride took a quarterback sneak into the end zone to give Coppell the 31-28 lead with 7:06 remaining.

Finally, for the first time since their first possession of the half, the DeSoto offense found a way to string together some big plays on offense. Sophomore running back Kelan Walker ran 13 yards for the go-ahead touchdown, giving the Eagles a 35-31 lead with under five minutes remaining.

With the game on the line, the Cowboys simply could not get anything going on offense, turning the ball over on downs after only four plays.

With DeSoto with the ball and under two minutes to play, it looked as if the game was over. The Cowboys defense continued to fight, and with 0:51 left to play, stripped the ball from the ball carrier and recovered the fumble, giving McBride and the offense the ball on their own 12 with no timeouts remaining.

After three straight incompletions to start the drive, the Cowboys needed somewhat of a miracle to keep the game alive. On a pass over the middle on fourth and 10, a DeSoto defender tipped the ball up in the air and right into the waiting arms of Rice, who picked up the first down. The Coppell offense then hurried to the line and spiked the ball, stopping the clock. The Cowboys needed a long play to get in range to throw a Hail Mary. McBride delivered, throwing a 35 yard pass to senior wide receiver Josh Fink, giving Coppell the ball at the 36 with 6 seconds left in the game.

In the end, it came down to one final play to decide the fate of the team’s season. McBride rolled out to his right, then back to his left, and heaved it as far as he could. A DeSoto defensive back jumped up and knocked the ball down, ending the game and the season for Coppell.

“We’re really going to look forward to becoming for comfortable in this defense this offseason, “ McDaniel said. “This year we were really young. We just have to get more comfortable playing around these teams.”