Offense struggles to find rhythm against Euless Trinity Trojans in tough loss

Kathryn Rudd, Staff Writer

After three lightning delays and practically a three hour first quarter, Coppell and Euless Trinity finally got to play. It was obvious the focus of some players was scattered, but Trinity came to compete and kept cutting through Coppell defense play after play, handing a tough 49-14 loss to the Cowboys.

A delay pushed kickoff back 20 minutes. When the game eventually did get going, the Trojans fumbled the opening kick off, then got the ball back as defensive back John Davis intercepted Coppell (4-4, 2-3) in the end zone. On a nine play, and 52 yard drive, Trinity running back Ja’Ron Wilson scored a touchdown, making the score 7-0 within the first five minutes.

After another lightning delay to stop the game for another 45 minutes, they were back on the field.

“The start/stop effected both teams,” head Coach Mike Dewitt said. “The biggest issue was the rain hurt our passing game and that was a big part of the game plan.”

Coppell tried again in their second possession but fell short when the ball was picked off from senior running back Brandon Rice by Trinity on the 39 yd line. After not making the 4th down, Trinity punted to Coppell but retrieved the ball again shortly after. Wilson then scored his second touchdown of the night with 1:05 left in the quarter bringing the score 14-0.

“I know we really looked at stopping the run, but some of us just lost our focus and we couldn’t do it very well tonight,” senior OL Caleb Thompson said.

Coppell High School senior running back Brandon Rice runs the ball through Trinitys defense Friday Night at Buddy Echols Field. On Friday night, the Cowboys lost to Trinity, with a final score of 49-14. Photo by Ale Ceniceros.

After the kickoff, Rice broke a tackle and made an eight yard rush to the Coppell 30. Trinity’s lateral defense held Coppell back as the Cowboys failed to complete a fourth down again, ending the first quarter.

Trinity quickly moved up the field and Wilson scores a 41 yard touchdown at 9:37. Coppell gets the ball on the 27. A 23 yard pass from sophomore quarterback Brady Mcbride to senior running back Josh Fink put Coppell on the scoreboard making the score 21-7.

Trinity’s next possession had steady advances, and Wilson made a 36 yd rush on 1st and 10 Junior running back Keion Griffin turned and faked in the Coppell red zone and made a short 8-yard TD with just under two minutes left in the half. 28-7

Coppell finally found their rhythm in the end of the half, slowly but surely making their way to the in zone. On, 2nd and 10 Mcbride rushed 33 yards to the Coppell 20-yard line. A false start on the Cowboys gave them a 5-yard penalty and are unable to reach the first down marker, bringing an end to the half. Score 28-7.

Due to weather delays, the teams paused for only one minute before the second half began.

Trinity’s first possession of the second half moved into their favor until the 2nd and 3 on the Coppell 22 when 3 flags are thrown. A dead ball foul and flags on both teams enforced a 15-yd penalty on both sides. Trinity moved back to 1st and 10, and Wilson scored his fourth touchdown of the night, a 12-yard rush sliding into the in zone. The score was moved to 35-7 with 8:39 remaining.

Despite great connection between Rice, Mcbride and Fink, they could not quite make the 4th down, even with Rice making great rushes down the field.

Trinity continued to break past the Cowboys’ defense to make four first downs. Griffin made a 23-yard rush, breaking through four defensive lineman and finishing the possession with touchdown at 2:09. The third quarter ends with score 42-7 in the Trojan’s favor.

“He’s stud, probably the best back we’ve seen all year. Our defense really tried to hold him. Hats off to him for what he did tonight. I think our kids battled well,” Coach Karl Pointer said.

On their next possession, even though they did not score, you could see momentum from Coppell starting to elevate from the whole team.

“It gave us some confidence as we were able to start moving the ball to where we wanted,” Dewitt said.

Coppell High School senior and defensive back Kyran Jamison chases after Trojan senior and running back Ja'Ron Wilson as he goes for a touchdown during the second quarter during Friday night's game. After many weather delays, Trinity defeated the Cowboys with a final score of 49-14 at Buddy Echols Field. Photo by Amanda Hair.
Coppell High School senior and defensive back Kyran Jamison chases after Trojan senior and running back Ja’Ron Wilson as he goes for a touchdown during the second quarter during Friday night’s game. After many weather delays, Trinity defeated the Cowboys with a final score of 49-14 at Buddy Echols Field. Photo by Amanda Hair.

In the start of the 4th, the Cowboy offense was making great strides, rushing 40 yards with great plays by McBride and Rice. However, it’s not enough, and they fall short again on the Trinity 35 yard line.
The rain had stopped by then, but the Trojans did not. In four short plays, running back Javontay Powe scored on a 39-yard touchdown with barely two minutes in the quarter.

The Cowboys didn’t give up though. McBride threw a great 47-yard pass to Fink giving them the 1st down. Slowly but surely, McBride and Fink make it to to Trinity 29 yard line. Another rocket pass of 29-yards to wide receiver Jarel McGill gave them the touchdown with 9:07 left in the game.

The short possession and TD threw Trinity off, after just 11 yards, a lost fumble puts the ball back into Coppell’s hands. A 47-yard pass to Fink puts them on the Trojan’s 36 yard line. Despite an incomplete pass, Trinity was penalized 15 yards, still keeping Coppell in the play. The touchdown pass to Fink was in the in end zone ready to catch but was intercepted at the last second.

McBride finished the game with 187 passing yards and 48 rushing, Rice ran for 92 yards and Fink finished the game 127 receiving yards.

On the final possession, running back Javontay Powe was too much for the Coppell, defense, breaking 4 tackles and rushing 30 yards to the 50. Even with 3 1st downs, a great tackle by Josh Mulumba kept them from scoring.

Sophomore QB Wiley Green played his first varsity game, going in for the last possession the Cowboys would have. He quickly made stride, rushing 8 yards himself and another 11 with passes to Timmie Heard and Matt Naranjo. Green then circled back and got through the the Trinity defense rushing 12 yards, but it’s not enough before the timer went out, the final score at 49-14 Euless Trinity.