Salata brings fresh flavors to Coppell

Coppell’s new restaurant Salata offers fresh and healthy flavors at their salad bar. Located at 150 S. Denton Tap Road, Photo by Alex Dalton.

By Wren Lee
@Leelaurenwren

You step into the polished atmosphere as your stomach growls. A balloon carrot waves at you from its home in the corner. Food is spread out in front of you.
Welcome to Salata.

The Tea Tap, located in Coppell's new restaurant Salata, offers eight delicious speciality teas for customers to choose from. Photo by Alex Dalton.
The Tea Tap, located in Coppell’s new restaurant Salata, offers eight delicious speciality teas for customers to choose from. Salata is located on South Denton Tap Road. Photo by Alex Dalton.

Located near Zoe’s Kitchen on South Denton Tap Road, Salata is a fresh new taste for Coppell. Opening on Oct. 15, this new restaurant offers customizable salads fit to your tastes. With a line of healthy foods, one can dine on a range of foods from pesto chicken and falafel to artichokes and avocados. You can top off your salad with your choice of dressing, including two fat-free (mango and sundried tomato) options.

A gleaming metal bowl filled with your favorite vegetables is passed from person to person. More tasty treats join their edible brethren in the bowl. You lick your lips in anticipation. You eye the lone carrot sitting on top, mentally marking it as your first victim.

A man with a warm smile offers you your choice of protein. You pick “Pesto Chicken” at random, remembering both the words pesto and chicken from your former cooking endeavors from years gone by.

Your bowl continues down the line like a product on a conveyor belt. The next lady says, “What dressing would you like?” You pause. “What is your suggestion?” you ask. She gestures at the “Fresh Herb Vinaigrette” You nod and watch as she doles out a scoop onto your fresh greens.

Your salad is tossed; the dressing mixed in. You eye the lone carrot sitting on top, mentally marking it as your first victim.

The soup is next, and the smell of tomato bisque fills your nostrils. You request for the thick, crimson soup and a basil asiago roll. Both are favorites of yours.

With a bowl loaded with colorful vegetables and fruits, you take your place at the window. Gazing out at the cars whizzing by, you spear a slice of carrot and place it in your mouth. Crunch. You chew happily, savoring the freshness of it all.

With all the choices, it is impossible to choose your treats. After contemplating about my proteins, I chose the pesto chicken. Surprisingly, the pesto was not a punch to the gut but, instead, a light taste that complimented the chicken well. The tomato soup was mildly acidic. It reminded me of my days sitting in a Panera cradling a bowl of tomato soup and nibbling on a grilled cheese sandwich while my mother talked business.

When your stomach is bursting with healthy foods you rarely eat (which is your fault entirely), you rise. You take in the room once more. The elegant decor is simple yet effective. The staff all wave their farewells as you take their leave. You wave back.
Good-bye, Salata, good-bye. You mentally note to come back here soon.

1