Mahesh leads One Step for Eight fundraiser

Jamie Kimbrell, Staff Writer

On Sept. 19 Coppell High School sophomore Riya Mahesh held a 5K/Fun Run at Andy Brown Park Central. Mahesh held the race for One Step for Eight which is a non-profit organization created to help people overcome diabetes.

By Jamie Kimbrell
@jaynicole2015

One Step for Eight, a non-profit organization run by Coppell High School sophomore Riya Mahesh, hosted its second annual 5K and Fun Run benefitting the Diabetes Hands Foundation, an organization providing diabetes care for people in developing countries.

The event on Sept. 19 began as One Step for Eight staff members worked hard under Mahesh’s leadership, checking runners in for both the Fun Run and 5K. Five minutes prior to the start of the Fun Run, the team ran out of race bibs; a result of many last minute racers.

“More people showed up than expected,” Director of Diabetes Hands Foundation Connie Fralick said. “We ran out of bibs for the race, which was good. I am excited to see how the race goes.”

At 8 a.m., the Fun Run began, and runners started off on their one mile trail around Andy Brown Park. The Fun Run ended quickly, and shortly after, the 5K kicked off.

As runners raced their way along the route, storm clouds rolled over the race, leaving runners racing against each other and the weather.  

Runners in the One Step for Eight Fun Run/5K held at Andy Brown Park Central finish in the pouring rain on Sept. 19 while being cheered on by organization members Kristen Lason, Riya Mahesh, Anand Singh, Connie Fralick, and Rohan Mahesh. One Step for Eight is a non-profit organization created to help people overcome diabetes.

Despite the rain and the other 60 runners in the 5K race, runner Dawn Reed finished first.

“It felt good running the race,” Reed said. “I like to run and good causes to run for.”

The cause of the event attracted other runners as well. Coppell resident Laurie Hughes and her son participated in the event to show their support for diabetics.

“We usually don’t run untimed races because of tracking [for statistics], but a run that supports [diabetes] a good cause,” Hughes said. “My daughter’s friend has diabetes, Type I, as a 7-year-old. She is our motivation to run the race.”

As the 5K race began, Mahesh explained the growth of One Step for Eight, which started as an eighth grade independent study project. Her club grew to a 501c3 non-profit organization from the support of her peers who were also passionate about diabetes. Mahesh organized the first successful 5K race last year.

“My goal for the future is to make our 5K race a Coppell tradition and pass it on to younger students when I graduate,” Mahesh said.

This year, the event attracted a repeat crowd of 80 people, with more runners than ever participating. One Step for Eight raised $1,000 for the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

“I’m proud,” Mahesh said about the fundraiser. “It was an all around success.”