Volleyball spikes the Rebels to improve district record

During the third set of the game, Coppell High School freshman Amarachi Osuji spikes the ball against the Richland Rebels, bringing the score to 9­-2, Coppell taking the lead. The Cowgirls won all three sets of the game, the first set with a score of 25-­13, the second with a score of 25-­15, and the third with a score of 25-­9, defeating the Rebels on Tuesday night in the CHS large gym. Photo by Amanda Hair.

By Joseph Krum

Managing Editor

@joseph_krum

The Coppell volleyball team huddles right before the third set of the game. The Cowgirls went on to win the set 25-9 to earn the win at home. Photo by Amanda Hair.

Point after point after point.

The Coppell volleyball team served up a quality 3-0 win over the Richland Rebels, giving the Cowgirls their 21st win on the season.

It is pretty safe to say that the Cowgirls dominated most of the game on all stages of the game. In the first set, after falling into a quick 0-3 whole, Coppell battled back with lots of spikes and a 9-1 run that ended a 25-13 first set win.

Moving on to the second set, the Cowgirls used a good number of their players throughout to produce, and that’s just what they did. Numerous blocks from junior middle hitter Grace Heaton fueled Coppell to win the second set 25-15.

And then in the third and final set, the Cowgirls dominated the Rebels. Coppell quickly gained a 7-0 lead, which turned into a 14-3 advantage for Coppell, and they never looked back to defeat the Rebels in the third set 25-9.

Throughout the game, many players stepped up and produced for the Cowgirls. Coach Julie Green saw specific players that she really thought upped their game.

“We had really good play from some kids who don’t always get the playing time that they did tonight,” Green said. “[Freshman] Mallory Rogers, one of my setters, played really well tonight. [Freshman outside hitter] Amarachi Osuji played well on the pin. And then [junior libero] Lauren Lee played outstanding all night.”

Junior outside hitter Jordan Scott had a couple of key kill late into the game that fueled the Coppell attack. Scott thought that throughout the game the team did well as a whole.

“We really worked together really well and communicated a lot,” Scott said. “Coach Green threw in a lot of new players out, but we still held it together and passed it really well.”

Even though there it was a widely-gaped win for the Cowgirls, Scott knows that there’s always something to work on.
“We need to improve on running a faster offense, keeping it consistent and just finding our shots,” Scott said.